Vintage Calicos

Old 01-25-2017, 04:32 PM

Default Vintage Calicos

Is it just me, or do other people feel a regret that no one makes the same pretty Calicos like what was around in the '50s and '60s? I love to look at my DH's great-grandma's quilts and admire her pretty fabric collection. I do have a couple of her fabrics now myself. I just think that the floral prints back then were so pretty then compared to the modern nowadays fabrics. Anyone else, or am I old fashioned minded?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:22 PM

You can buy 30's and 40's reproduction fabrics in some quilt shops, and definitely online. I know Craftsy has some, and also Keepsake Quilting. I've bought most if not all of mine in little quilt shops. I don't know where you can get 50's and 60's reproduction fabrics, but you might just try Google!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

​I like all fabric even the modern big prints however I have trouble making quilts from the big prints. They are harder to use in piece work in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I saw these today, they have others, and on sale too!
http://www.saudersfabric.com/shop/Sh...s-Old-Plum.htm
Old 01-25-2017, 08:03 PM

have to say I don't miss the calicos--really like all the new stuff with the fun big prints (although they can be tricky to use) and especially the geometric prints and the blenders.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:38 AM

My avatar is made out of calico scraps that I had saved from the early 70's. I still have some left waiting for another project. This is a quilt that I made for a friend who loves cats. It was a free download of a wall hanging and I just made it with more squares to make it quilt size and changed the direction of some of the cats. It is all little pieces and not paper pieced but not that difficult to construct. The name of the wall hanging was Cat in the Attic but I'm not sure it's available anymore. In any event, mine is Calico Cat in the Attic. I love calico and also have a collection of reproduction 1930's prints that I'm going to use on an upcoming project. I've been collecting them for several years so have quite a selection. When I find a quilt shop that has them I go on point!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 AM

The fabric designs have evolved along with the modern quilts that are being made today. Like everything else it will slowly come back as something new!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I saw these today, they have others, and on sale too!
http://www.saudersfabric.com/shop/Sh...s-Old-Plum.htm
Looks like a lot of Amish colors, lovely, I prefer older/smaller prints.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 AM

We have hundreds of yards of these in my charity quilt store room. We get donations when quilters pass away.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Some of it is just nostalgia, some of it is just what we like. My favorite quilt show was one where they had quilts from 1900 to 1950. They had finished quilts and some quilt tops. Some were hand sewn some were done by machine. I think I went back 3 times to that show, and asked to look at both sides as many as I could.