Visiting Switzerland

Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Smile Visiting Switzerland

Has anyone lived in, or visited Switzerland? I will be visiting there, dates uncertain, but probably in April. My DH is going for business, and his company has graciously offered to provide my airfare as well. I'm excited, as this will be my first trip abroad.

I would welcome any tips and suggestions regarding clothing, places to visit, etc. I believe we will be in the Interlaken area, for two weeks or more. And of course, would welcome any meetings with quilters in the area if something could be arranged.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

i was there about 40 years ago. can't give you any relevant information, but it sure was beautiful.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

I was there about five years ago. It was the most wonderful visit. If you get a chance to tour the mts, be sure to go.. I have said many times, if I never get another trip, the one to Switzerland will last a lifetime. Lovely scenery and people. Have a great time!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

DH and I were there just over 10 years ago. Wonderful place! Check with granny_59. She lives there, and should be able to help you out.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM

My daughter and I were there last summer with 70 girl guides. Absolutely fantastic. Take lots of warm layers, is my advice. Good stout walking boots. Make sure you go up to the Jungfraujoch http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/places-to-visit/ Seems expensive, but worth every penny. Make sure you take a camera, and plan to spend lots of time up there. We went to the ice caves and spent time playing snow games (zip wire, toboggan, etc...) We also stayed in Adelboden (one of the sites for the Winter Olympics) and also visited Kandestag (Scouting world centre). Check out http://www.thereareplaces.com/newgui...dest/szpts.htm for some other ideas. Have a great trip.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Red face Ahhh, Switzerland!

How fortunate you are to visit such a beautiful country!

We hiked mountains in the clear air, rode the steep railways with the glasses having slanted bottoms to stand erect on the slopes, ate cheese and dropped my piece of bread in the fondue so had to kiss the guy at the bar(not sure that's really an old custom - maybe he just made it us cause he was more interested when young girls kissed him than me!), heard yodeling (and tried - not easy- but I think a few hogs came home when they heard me!), marveled at all the flowers, met friendly folks who nicely corrected my hometown German,(they sure smiled so I think I may not have said quite what I thought I did) toured museums, paddled our way around lakes, tried shooting a bow and arrow (somebody must have moved the target cause I know I aimed right at it!), tried blowing the long horns (was it supposed to squeel so much to make the guy in the front row's teeth vibrate?) and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

One morning I looked out our window of the mountain hotel and say little blond girls with braids and dirndl skirts herding cows wearing big bells. I was enthralled. My daughter burst my bubble when she said "Mom, you start singing songs from Sound of Music and I leave you here!!!"

Well, I didn't get left there, although that would have been fine with me, we brought home chocolates and other souvenirs and would go again anytime.

Have a great trip and tell us all about it, with photos.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 AM

I was there a few years ago it is beautiful bring lots of money & a good camera, buy chocolate it is so good.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Interlaken is absolutely beautiful. You will enjoy it. In April it will still be nippy, especially at night. Daytime, casual is ok, especially for tourists; at night, expect to dress a little more, especially for business affairs. Take an umbrella. You will love the people there - they are very friendly.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 PM

while we were going through switzerland we stopped at the rhine falls very beautiful. they had a boat ride right up to the falls that made one feel so tiny. it is a wonderful place to visit every where in switzerland. as for food try there snitzel und pomme fritz (french fries) mit salad. most americans like that. and can say it hahahaha. also don't miss out on thier chocolates. yum, and also the ice cream in europe is different than here so try that for sure. just while you are traveling do not repeat do not travel if you eat the saurkraut. i hope you enjoy your trip let us know how it was when you get back. i loved europe in those days. it was great
Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM

Georgia Bonesteel traveled to Switzerland and met with quilters ther within the last 5 years Try looking her up under "Lap Quilting with Gerogia Bonesteel" it's a PBS show that I've seen several times. Good luck and have a great time