Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Basel, Switzerland.

  1. #1
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2

    Basel, Switzerland.

    I'm off in July to visit my son and his partner. Of course I'm taking them a quilt. "My very MODERN PURPLE quilt" that was posted a few weeks ago. Can anyone tell me where I will find the fabric shops? My son will be of no help except maybe with the Swiss German. I'm really curious to see the prices and the fabric lines in Europe to see if they are very different from North America.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Super Member CookyIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,286
    Oh lucky you! I know nothing about where to find the shops but hope you'll report back to us when you return. Switzerland is one of those places I've always wanted to visit and probably never will. Have a great time; I'm sure your son and his partner will cherish the quilt!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stabio, Switzerland
    Posts
    9
    Hi!
    I live in Switzerland. Near Basel there's a quilt shop. http://www.cotton-color.com/
    I think that it's the biggest shop in Switzerland. The prices are higher here!

  4. #4
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    I found this site when we were looking into going to Italy. http://www.cosman.nl/maps/map_en.php?cn=it
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  5. #5
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    9,645
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't know a thing about it. But, have fun!!!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

  6. #6
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,464
    Blog Entries
    2
    Sounds like you already have gotten a good response, but did you know that you can search members by location? 1) Click on "member list" at the top of this page
    2) Click on the "search" dropdown (under the W X Y Z) and select "advanced
    search"
    3) Type the location you are interested in, in the appropriate box and then click "search now"
    You get a list of members who have that location in their profile. You can see the number of posts (to see if they are active), and send them a PM. You might want to try the location search a couple of ways, like just the country, just the state/province, just the city etc. I've used this before when I've traveled to ask other members for
    recommendations.
    Have fun on your trip!!!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

  7. #7
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Oh how exciting MaryK!!!!!!!!!! ........... do you need someone to carry your suitcases?
    Have a wonderful trip!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  8. #8
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,602
    You got a great response. All I can say is have a great time.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,329
    I don't know anything about Switzerland, but google is a dear friend. You can find anything there. Have fun, take lots of picture. Your quilt will be greatly appreciated.

  10. #10
    Senior Member qwkslver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    584
    Take pictures for us, will you? Enjoy!

  11. #11
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Oh how exciting MaryK!!!!!!!!!! ........... do you need someone to carry your suitcases?
    Have a wonderful trip!
    Since I'm taking over a quilt I'll just have to fill that suitcase with something.
    I did finish enlarging the OBW, I just haven't photographed it and posted it yet.
    Thanks again for finding the material.
    PS I retired today!
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    Since I'm taking over a quilt I'll just have to fill that suitcase with something.
    I did finish enlarging the OBW, I just haven't photographed it and posted it yet.
    Thanks again for finding the material.
    PS I retired today!
    MaryKatherine
    Congratulations on retiring!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  13. #13
    Super Member granny_59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,058
    hi MaryKatherine

    congratulations on retiring and let me know when exactly you come to my hometown..................
    All you can do in our quiltshops (cotton and color was already mentioned) is do get a big scare about the prices. lol

    Granny

  14. #14
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by granny_59 View Post
    hi MaryKatherine

    congratulations on retiring and let me know when exactly you come to my hometown..................
    All you can do in our quiltshops (cotton and color was already mentioned) is do get a big scare about the prices. lol

    Granny
    From what I've gleaned from this board, the prices on your side of the pond are higher. I just thought it might be nice to get the feel of a quilt shop in another country and maybe a piece of fabric that would remind me of this trip. I really don't have anything in mnd. We're flying over on the 2nd/3rd and I know we have tickets to see Leonard Cohen the following night. But I intend to drag a few bewildered men to some things I want to see. They can sit on a bench outside.
    Mary Katherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Wheeeeeee!!!!! You're retired!!
    Wonder? whatever will you do with all your time now?
    Look forward to seeing the debut of the renovated OBW ... whenever!!
    For now, I suspect you are tad busy, getting ready to fly away!!

    Have a wonderful retirement holiday ...... just Switzerland? or other European destinations?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  16. #16
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Wheeeeeee!!!!! You're retired!!
    Wonder? whatever will you do with all your time now?
    Look forward to seeing the debut of the renovated OBW ... whenever!!
    For now, I suspect you are tad busy, getting ready to fly away!!

    Have a wonderful retirement holiday ...... just Switzerland? or other European destinations?
    No not a lot. We're visiting Ed's son who is now a citizen of Switzerland. He doesn't come back often as he is so taken with the life in Europe. One trip a year is all we'll be able to afford for a long time. Now that we've got some dry weather I can get a picture of the OBW. I think I bought four yards and used up every inch.
    MK
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  17. #17
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    No not a lot. We're visiting Ed's son who is now a citizen of Switzerland. He doesn't come back often as he is so taken with the life in Europe. One trip a year is all we'll be able to afford for a long time. Now that we've got some dry weather I can get a picture of the OBW. I think I bought four yards and used up every inch.
    MK
    Oh but there are so many countries so close at hand ... you can do more than one a day! ENJOY your trip!
    What quilt is going on the holiday with you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  18. #18
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Oh but there are so many countries so close at hand ... you can do more than one a day! ENJOY your trip!
    What quilt is going on the holiday with you?
    The purple batik one. It was the girlfriend who requested the colours.
    (We ARE spending a few days in Paris on the way back)
    MK
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  19. #19
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Folletta View Post
    Hi!
    I live in Switzerland. Near Basel there's a quilt shop. http://www.cotton-color.com/
    I think that it's the biggest shop in Switzerland. The prices are higher here!
    Thanks. I've found it on line!
    MK
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  20. #20
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    The purple batik one. It was the girlfriend who requested the colours.
    (We ARE spending a few days in Paris on the way back)
    MK
    Such romantics!!!! ............... or was it the wine?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  21. #21
    Super Member Knitette's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Granite City, Scotland
    Posts
    1,626
    I hope you have a great trip! You will be shocked at the prices - about double here and even dearer in Switzerland. Also, Europe imports virtually all of our fabric from you guys.............
    That said, you will find fabric and patterns patterns that are designed to appeal to a different, European market as well as, I'm sure, very familiar ones.
    As you're not planning a shopping spree (thankfully, lol!), I'm sure there will be something delicious that will just capture the essence of your trip.
    Safe journey
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,769
    Blog Entries
    14
    So far you've just posted about looking for fabric shops, but for heaven's sake, don't forget the chocolate!LOL

  23. #23
    Super Member MaryKatherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Guelph, On. -
    Posts
    1,687
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    So far you've just posted about looking for fabric shops, but for heaven's sake, don't forget the chocolate!LOL
    Chocolate is a food group so Why would I not indulge.
    MK
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincy,OH
    Posts
    15
    My guild in Florida has a few people from Europe...they are always saying how great it is to buy fabric here because the prices there are sooooo high. They usually bring an extra piece of luggage to take fabric home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Folletta View Post
    Hi!
    I live in Switzerland. Near Basel there's a quilt shop. http://www.cotton-color.com/
    I think that it's the biggest shop in Switzerland. The prices are higher here!

  25. #25
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    Chocolate is a food group so Why would I not indulge.
    MK
    Absolutely! ... included without saying!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.