Wanna see me bald?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM

I will be shortly I think! I'm going to pull my hair out trying to get dd sent off to camp this summer. She is supposed to work at a camp in PA this summer as horse staff. we have been trying to get her forms ready for weeks now. SC and PA background checks, PA Child Abuse Form, on top of camp forms. Now they say that to do the PA Child Abuse they need an FBI clearance form. Ok...we get online find the form, find where to get fingerprints done and go this morning. NOPE! They can't use a printed online form, they have to have the actual cards...they don't have them of course. All they can tell me is to call the FBI for them. Have you ever tried talking to an actual person at the FBI? I think its all computers! So I have a call in to the director of the camp.....there is no way I can get forms mailed to me...filled out...sent to another agency....mailed back to me...and then sent to camp between now and the 29th of this month!
And they think they can handle healthcare? HAH!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I understand the reason to carefully screen applicants but this sounds crazy :shock: Sounds like you need to start a year or two early for all the hoops you have to jump thru :roll:

Hope you can get it all worked out . Have you tried to locate a local FBI office, maybe in one of the bigger cities in your state ?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM

I called th office closet to us....they told me to call the office in WV...there I talked to a computer that told me where to print the forms and that the local LEA could do the fingerprints....called the police dept here and they said yes but when we got there they said we had to have actual fingerprint cards. Or we could go to the next town and do digitized ones for $75!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like one agency doesn't know what the other is doing :roll: It sure can get frustrating!!! Especially with your time constraints. Can you call the parents of other counselors and see what they did to accomplish this?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Bless your heart I do feel for you! The background checks & clearances are great but....you would think that someone would actually be informed as to what one has to do to get those. Also, if one is sincere in obtaining all of this, they will stick with the hoopla & do it. A lot of weeding out can be done by this maybe? I don't know. Sounds like a lot of frustration and confusion. I have found recently that it is getting next to impossible to get things done. And be left with any hair or sanity. LOL Hang in there, breathe deep & go sniff some cotton. I hope this all works out. And it will. Hugs!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Ugh! Hope you get it done soon! I hate how it is with phones now, you can NEVER get a person!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM

I think one of the problems is that my dd is the first staffer they have had from out of state....usually they are from PA. I'm trying to see if dd actually needs this PA form since we have never even lived in PA. One of the guys at camp that I talked to said that before 9/11 they didn't need all this paperwork either. He's not the one who is over that part but who dd will actually be working for. I called him to see if he can get answers any quicker than I can.

edited to add: the director just called me and she doesn't need to PA form! I wish they had told us this to begin with! So now I'm off to find a compatible SC form. whew....should make it much easier.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Wow! What alot to go through! Hope she enjoys it after she actually gets there, huh?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM

We have to do most of that to renew RN license in Texas. Had to do the child abuse to do crafts in vacation bible school.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 PM

well I have the SC form ready to be printed...soon as I take the laptop back to the printer. It doesn't have to be notarized...just witnessed and I'm wondering if it needs to be witnessed by someone outside the family? I think that might be better....
I know that she will have a wonderful summer doing this. She has gone to this camp as a camper for several years. the barn she used to ride at did fundraisers every year so the girls could earn their money to go and she loves the place. She went last year for two weeks to "help out" and see how it would be actually working there and loved it. So she knows what she is in for. She says that if you give her a choice between boys and horses the horses will win every time....the girl loves horses! So working with them all day every day all summer is a dream come true for her.