Watch out for Needles!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Abuelita
I have been sewing for over 40 years and have endured many complaints from my family over dropped needles and pins that they have found on the carpet with their feet - it was my turn on Weds. nite. Unfortunately I thought it was just a "poke" and walked around on my foot on Thursday, unknowingly forcing the needle deeper into the bottom of my foot. After an x-ray on Friday afternoon revealed the needle deeply imbedded, I spent the next few hours in the emergency room while they determined the best course of action. A surgeon with a flouoroscope-sp? was called in to remove the needle and two minutes after he made the incision he found it! Needless to say after a weekend with my foot up and no sewing I have learned my lesson - slippers on at all times and pick up those needles (and pins) whenever they are dropped!
That's why there is no carpet in my sewing studio. Ouch!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM

I hope your foot is better soon! We only have hardwood floors in our home. We got rid of all the carpet 5 years ago. Yeah!!! I now have to sweep constantly to keep the dust bunnies at bay and it helps with keeping needles away from feet also.

And having hardwood means cold floors, so my feet are constantly in slippers. I have diabetes and don't want any extra complications.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

oh shoot i thought they could get a huge magnet to get that needle out.
i tend to remove my shoes in my sewing room. so far, so good though.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
tmw

this is why i wanted tile in the room i sew in, when we moved here i had the choice, it's a small room but the only one without a covering when we bought here, i hope someday you have the option to take the carpet out..
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

ouch that hurts!!!! I know from experience... when I was like7 I stepped ona needle. my mother pulled it out . but the dog jumped on her arm when she was doing it. Thinking she got it all I went to bed. The next morning I fell out of bed. the needle had hit a nerve and deadened my foot. they took a 6 inch slab of meat out to get the needle out of my foot. SHOES AT ALL TIMES IN MY SEWING ROOM..
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Been there, done that as well. Why don't the darn things fall heads up vs. point up - like stepping on a bee with it's fanny up in the air!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Yes the extension magnet is great...like an antannae..I get mine at the dollar store for $1.00 and last time I went they had one ..same extension type that has a tiny little bulb on it...works great...

Hope you are feeling better...

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
sorry to hear that you did this...I have done it, too. Broke one off in the foot.
I highly recommend a light/magnet that is an extension magnet
that looks like a pen. You can pick one up from Newark Dressmaking supplies. They have a catalog online...it was only about $4, but I have bought them for gifts for several relatives.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM

OUCH!! I can't believe you walked around with that in your foot. Glad doc was able to get it out ok. Sometimes we have to learn our lessons the hard way. lol
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Oh you poor thing!!! I'm so sorry for you and hope you are better soon. Here's a HUG :)
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM

I think the dog sometimes picks them up in his fur and transports them around the house. ;-) That's my excuse.