Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: We have power!

Blog Entries
    We had a bad storm pass thru this am. A crack of lightening hit like right outside my bedroom window! About 1/2 later at 4:30 our power went out! All I could think about was the board member who lost power for days! I have a freezer down stairs full and and the fridge upstairs! I also use oxygen to sleep and it uses electricity. So I feel better now! So does my scared lil dog!! Maybe I'll take a nap! The food in fridge should be ok shouldn't it? It's still cold to touch.
    Have a great day!!

Blog Entries
    Glad your power is back!

I think the food will be okay. It stays cold longer even without power if you keep freezer/refrigerator closed. I'm glad you got power back and that you are okay. Stay safe!

The stuff in the freezer should be okay even when the electric is out for 3 days, I've heard-providing you don't open it a lot.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago we had some sort of electrical cord failure, and the electrician we called said to unplug it and cover the whole thing with quilts and blankets. If he couldn't get here in a few hours, to go get some dry ice and fill spaces with it, then recover with the quilts.

Never lost any of our meat we'd just put in there.

The food in your freezer should be fine . It is good up to 12 hours if you don't open it! We had an mock disaster had to go 24 hours without power, sure showed us how much we rely on electricity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Many years ago we had some sort of electrical cord failure, and the electrician we called said to unplug it and cover the whole thing with quilts and blankets. If he couldn't get here in a few hours, to go get some dry ice and fill spaces with it, then recover with the quilts.

Never lost any of our meat we'd just put in there.
    This really works. We do this when power is lost due to a hurricane or tropical storm. During power outages, we also use very large coolers and put blankets or towels inside the coolers on top of the food and my DH's insulin. We don't have to replace the ice so often. I also fill clean, used half gallon milk bottles and 20oz water bottles with water and keep them in the freezer we have in the garage. Then when the power goes out, I place them around the food in the fridge to help keep things cold. They also get used in the fish cooler when we go fishing so we don't have to make or buy ice. :)