Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Website being spoofed?   What to do? >

Website being spoofed? What to do?

Website being spoofed? What to do?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Has anyone encountered a message like this when on the 'net? :hunf:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

I'm hoping that maybe some of the computer gurus we have on the board will have some insight as to what to do. I got it when I went to my regular on-line bill pay, so I certainly didn't proceed, but don't know how to get the "real" address and bypass the spoof.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Well that's just nasty.

One of the popular ways to part you from your money is to send an alarming email, pretending to be your bank/utility/paypal/whatever, and send you to a site that has all the graphics and looks like the spoofed site, but is actually only collecting your personal information (to steal your identity or credit card info).

This is why the browsers now check that the site certificate was issued to the site you're actually on. And why you should NEVER click on a link in an email. I need no talent at all to create an email that looks like a real link but takes you to my spoof site.

If you got to the site by trusted browsing methods (typing in the web address or using a 'favourite'), then I'd call the company - NOT from the number listed on the (possibly spoofed) site, but from your phone book or statement and let them know you're getting this error message.

The site certificates do expire, so it is possible someone forgot to keep it current.

If you're on a secure site, you can check the certificate by clicking on the little 'lock' icon - you can see who issued the certificate, what encryption level is being used, who the certificate was issued to. There are only a handful of issuers worldwide - Verisign, Entrust, Thawte, Equifax.

Sorry to rant, this was much more of an answer than you needed, but hopefully it helps spread some awareness.

Hope you've had some good weather for 2-wheel adventures! We've been working on getting the crops in - maybe we'll get some time again late May :)
Cheers,
Linda
Old 05-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I had this happen when I was trying to get on the QB. I just shut my CP down and then tried it again and it worked fine.
Linda is very right about this.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM

I have had this happen when trying to get on here too. I go out and come back in.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Google Goddess

be careful!