Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to do with a fur (mink?) collar? >

What to do with a fur (mink?) collar?

What to do with a fur (mink?) collar?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
I would give it a pair of goggly eyes and name it "Hubert".

Okay, well I didn't say it was a good suggestion! (see the chocolate thread - I am under the influence of chocolate!)
This might just be my favorite suggestion!!! hehehe
Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 AM
KLO

Thanks everyone. I am thinking about using it for trimming something, just not sure what yet. I am not a "fur" person.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 AM

I've got my mom's 3/4 length mink. Not a 'fur person' but hate stuff to go to waste. May look into making a winter hat lining if it's still soft enough to sew.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM

there is a company in Canada that recycles old furs. Their web site says that they have successfully recycled fur coats as old as 100 years. So probably no fur that we have is too old to reclaim, reuse or recycle. And you can still buy brand new fur coats and accessories. If you live where it is cold enough to wear them many people consider them to be still fashionable. The ads are still in the high end magazines.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

My children go to cotilion, dance and etiquette classes, for 5 grade through 12 th grade. They have dance themes like the twenties and fifties. They wear those type of things. Or if you want to repurpose it, could you make yourself some warm slippers. Sounds yummy. LOL Let us know what you do.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Bury it.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Bury it.
Well, since this particular "fur" has been dead for many, many years, is in super shape, and it was my Mom's, I don't think I could bury it. Worse case scenario, I would donate it. But I like some of the suggestions like slippers or trim on gloves. Maybe a collar on a shrug or perhaps cuffs on a sweater? Still, I am not a formal person so I need to really think this through before cutting. Thanks to all who have responded. At least it has started the wheels in my head working.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM

I had one many years ago...plus a long squirrel's tail. I made a big picture of a squirrel sitting on a branch for my
DS's room. The critter itself was mink from an old neighbor's long coat, and still had lots of it left over. Son loved it
for many years and I think it was given to a small cousin when DS went to the Navy.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM

When my husband's 99 year old aunt passed away, we found a beautiful carcoat length mink. No one wanted to take it, so I made two teddy bears and gave them to our two granddaughters for rememberance.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4613.jpg  
Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I have just cleaned out a drawer and found my Mother's old mink collar ... probably from a coat. I suppose it could be rabbit. Will have to check that out. It is in very good shape. It's about 4" wide and 30" long. It's curved somewhat to fit around the collar of a coat, I presume. It also has two "hooks" on one short end and two loops on the other so it appears that that is how it would be fastened around the neck. The question is what the heck to do with it? I would never wear it. Perhaps use it on an animal themed quilt? Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
Good for a collar on a dolls coat! American Girl or Antique -- could probably sell on e-bay.