Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with old, left over prescriptions?

Power Poster

What do you do with old, left over prescriptions?

We live in Minnesota

I have several bottles of left over medications from various surgeries - like eight to ten years ago - and there are left over medications.

I tried to take them to the clinic - they told me to take them to the pharmacy - the pharmacy said No, we don't take that stuff - the supposed "proper method" is to mix the pills in with used cat litter - and THEN put it in the trash. It still will go to a land fill - and get dispersed into that soil eventually.

The recommendation to flush the meds down the toilet has been rescinded. That idea seemed to be in the "I can't believe how utterly stupid this is" category.

I've heard that Wisconsin will incinerate them.

What do you do with left over medications?

Around here CVS Pharmacy will dispose of them for you.

Kathie

I usually mix in coffee grounds, but that still puts them in the landfill. They (Fire department?) also have pill disposal days when you can drive thru and hand the old stuff in.

Blog Entries
    i'm in MN also. I've seen at least 2 campaigns this year for the collection of old medications. I think one was by the Sheriff's office. They were incinerated in the end, I think. Sorry to be so vague.
    Nancy in western NY

I have also heard to take them to the pharmacy but I can't remember which one.

Blog Entries
    I have turned mine over to social service agency and then handle it from there.
    I am Quilter Hear Me Roar...

My pharmacy has a collection bin. They tale left over non-prescription meds too.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Our pharmacy will dispose of them. However, you might contact your local Fire and/or Police Depts as they may have a program to dispose of them. Good luck and thank you for wanting to go "green" with your efforts for disposal.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Our police department takes them. They do like to get them in the original bottles, not dumped out into a bag.

I'm the heritec (sp) here...I keep mine. Granted neither DH nor I are 'pill poppers' but you just never know when you need an antibiotic or pain pill for a couple of days. It takes a long time for the efficacy of the drug to actually degrade. You might need an extra pill or 2 to get the desired results but it beats spending time/$$ (at least for me) in the Dr. office. We have drugs that are several years old just for that purpose. Recently I squished my foot. Old script was about useless. Got new one from Doc. Ended up not taking it but you just never know...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast