What happens when

Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Default What happens when

You find out you really don't like quilting? I've tried several times over the past dozen or so years to quilt and always thought I would love it if I could do it when retired. Well now I am and after making a couple of little quilts for the DGD's I've discovered I'm not a fan. I hand quilted one and tied the other and I'm just not feeling like I want to continue. I do enjoy making purses but if i can't sell them I certainly can't do that as a hobby. I need to find something else to do in my sewing room. Just thinking outloud online I guess. This is so disappointing to me because I have to have something to keep me busy or I'll go nuts!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Do you like the piecing part .... and abhor the actual quilting? Nothing wrong with that ... lots of people make the quilt tops and let others do the quilting.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Well thats to bad, Like QuiltE said maybe you just like piecing. Thats fine I have lots of ladies who only like the piecing and bring them to me to quilt. I enjoy all of it but then my Granny only like the piecing.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:33 PM

If you find you really don't like quilting, and you enjoy bags and totes, but find you could make too many...what about making dolls? Or doll clothing? I recently made Hawaiian shirts for a bowling team...6 of them. Quilts are not the end-all-be-all of the sewing room...
Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Maybe find a pattern you really like- keep it on the simple side , fabric you love and give it another shot ? What patterns have you tried ? Maybe try something different instead of piecing, try applique ?

And if none of that works - there is nothing wrong with that either. Quilting is not for everyone and you can still be our friend
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Thanks, I guess I just need to keep looking for that hobby. I don't really like the piecing either. Maybe I need to go back to making pj's for the kids. Of course a kid can only use just so many pj's also. I have been on here looking for some inspiration and will probably just hang out and socialize with everyone. I've made some good friendships so I don't guess I have to quilt to talk to everyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Not every one likes the same hobby, that's for sure!! I hope you can find some thing that brings you satisfaction. My SIL always admires my family's love of creating and wishes she had a hobby she loved to do, as she grows older. She doesn't care for sewing, but loves what others make. It really is fun to me to handle fabric and sew! Good Luck if you try again and it clicks for you or if you try another hobby. Meanwhile, stick around and share with us!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM

If you like sewing, there are so many projects to sew. You said you like making pjs for the DGCs and there are lots of children in the shelters, children's homes, etc that could use warm jammies and even summer jammies. If you don't like to actually quilt, what about making blankets for the NICU unit of your local hospital? They always need them and they aren't difficult to make and don't take a lot of fabric. They actually are a smaller size than the regular nursery blankets. What about doll clothing, such as for the 18" inch dolls (I don't think I could attempt Barbie clothes...that girl is just too skinny...well in most areas anyway!). These types of clothes usually sell well as the "real thing" is so expensive to buy (American Girl, etc.).

Also have you tried machine embroidery? I LOVE it. There is always a market for the little girl jumpers and little boy rompers to be monogrammed. The jumpers/rompers sell in our area for $40-$50 and then with monogramming can be $60 to $75.00.

Just throwing out some ideas...we don't need any more of us going crazy!!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 PM

U don't have to quilt to come hang out !!
If u like making pj's make pjs! Lots of kids need them!!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM

Another way to share your sewing talent, if that's what you'd like to do, is to make adaptive clothing or alter ready made clothing for people who can't get in and out of regular clothing due to injury or disability. Families who are pressured and have to deal with someone who is hard to dress could surely use the help, and I bet there's a big market for adaptive jammies. You might contact your local hospital's physical therapy department for leads or search the internet. There are patterns out there for adaptive clothing for wheelchair-bound people and others. You could be somebody's blessing.