Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What happens and who decides? >

What happens and who decides?

What happens and who decides?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Just a quick question. say there is a topic i may or may not read. But when I goto page it say's Topic not found. What happened? does management take it out and if so why?Is it something hurtfull to all of us or what? I get confused. Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

The moderators usually decide to remove a topic, sometimes it is the person who began the topic that asks to have it removed. It could be political, hurtful, too controversial, or religious, or just against the rules of the board.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

sometimes it is posted under the wrong section title...so they move it...
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Certain topics are off limits for the board- Politics and religion so they will get deleted. If a topic is borderline as offensive , crude or just plain obnoxious they get deleted. We are a public forum and try to keep it family friendly. Classifieds can get deleted for not following the rules . Each section has a rules topic that is very informative and I encourage everyone to read them from time to time as they do get updated and things change.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM

I see tons of religious refrences on here daily.....
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raedar63
At Christmas there were alot that were deleted.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by raedar63
what is or isn't a "religious reference" is often a matter of interpretation. analysis of individual comments or topics assesses the matters of degree and apparent intent.

a simple "G-d bless", or similar statement shouldn't offend a person with common sense. we should be offended because another member wishes good things for us, even if we don't indivually subscribe to that system of belief? i think not. it's ungrateful and not necessary to be offended by something like that.

when something reads like a call to convert, a sermon, a prayer, or something similar it will get deleted. sometimes that involves surgically editing a post. sometimes the only solution is to remove the whole thing altogether.

requests for prayers are moved or merged into existing PDAs. they are the only overtly religious posts for which we allow exceptions when it's possible and practical.

moderators don't have access to profile signatures. so, even though they should not be there we can't fix the scriptural quotes and other forms of proseletyzing and sermonizing members include there. it would take a dozen moderators weeks or months to fix all of them even if we could. i have always assumed that most of the members who include them do so without thinking. i'm sure a few do it because they claim some right to force their views on others, but i think most just do it out of habit. i try to not jump to conclusions about their intent. to do so risks accusing individuals unfairly. i can't read minds and have not had the good fortune to meet every member in person. how can i know for sure what the motivation is?

we're a friendly bunch, so i don't want to do risk hurting somebody's feelings or embarrassing them without hard, irrefutable evidence that it's justified.

tolerance requires travelling down a two-way street. ;-)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Ok thank you for the input. helps clear some things up.For a long time i wasn't and still aren't to computer savey so I thought maybe it's me not knowing where to find the topic. :) but thank's again. I can understand better now.