Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What thread to use

What thread to use

Hi...I've been asked to recover some cushions that came out of a caravan. It's a nice fairly thick woven upholstery fabric that the lady has chosen. I've just realised I don't have any upholstery thread and wondered if anyone had used normal sewing thread. I wondered if sewing the seams a couple of times (or maybe 3) would provide enough strength or would I be better off to see if I can get the proper thread. The other thing, I'm wondering how the thicker thread would go in my machine...Janome

Thanks

Janice
    Blessings from Janice

I think you would be okay - but I would use a polyester thread for strength.
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

Thanks Patti...I decided after all to brave this nasty weather we are having and went and got some upholstery thread
    Blessings from Janice

I use regular thread for sewing upholstery-type fabs all the time with home dec sewing. Done seat cushions, drapes, etc. with no issues.

I tried to use upholstery thread in my Brother 8500D and it did not sew at all. I made slip covers out of fairly heavy cotton duct, and pillows from upholstry fabric. I used regular thread and usually made two rows of stitching. Worked well for me.
    Phyllis Driggs

I've used upholstery thread in my vintage Kenmore with no problems. I'm not sure my electronic Brother would handle it. It doesn't like heavier fabric.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I have used polyester thread for sewing home decor items, its stronger than my usual cotton threads.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's good to know you've had success with normal sewing thread. If it was for me I would have just used what I had but when it was for someone else, who's paying, I didn't want to take the risk..lol.
    I'm happy to report that my Janome (7700) is handling the thread beautifully, although I did put in the blue dot bobbin case so I had a lower bobbin tension. I probably didn't need to do that but it was there so thought I'd use it. And I'm using a topstitch needle (no 12..I think) and the machine just purrs along
    Blessings from Janice