Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky/Minkee-  to use or not to use? >

Minky/Minkee- to use or not to use?

Minky/Minkee- to use or not to use?

Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM

This has probably been discussed on here before. Minky(sp?) is made of 100% polyester according to everthing I have read so far.And it is very nice and soft, but is it safe to use on baby & kid quilts or items, or anything or anyones' for that matter. When polyester burns, it clumps and melts, right? Here is a site that has a fabric burn chart http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html. I thought it was definitely somthing to consider.Nice for other fabrics also.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 PM

I've kind of wondered about this myself.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Well I am not a mommy of a little one. but the minkee is so soft and cuddley.
Benartex markets this as a fabric for babies.They say it wicks away moisture to keep baby dry.
I haven't purchased baby items for a while but all the sleepers used to be made of poly.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM

I too like the minky/minkee fabric and would use it on a quilt if I knew it was OK for babies. I do not like the treated flannel fabric which is supposed to be used for pajamas and stuff--I just don't like the feel of it. I haven't made any baby quilts as I'm conflicted about using 100% flannel as opposed to the treated flannel.
I'll wait to hear what you all have to say.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM

If its not fire retardent fabric. Its going to burn no matter what whether its polyester, cotton, poly/cotton blend, unknown blend..... What about poly batting, its going to burn the same way. So whats a quilter/anyone who sews for children, adults, cats, dogs, the list goes on, to do? not sew for them. Thats the only thing to do if we are that worried about it.

And while we are at it don't use fabric softener in the wash or the dryer when doing childrens laundry because it removed the fire retardent in ready to wear clothing and PJs.

I right now am wearing a pair of 100% polyester basketball shorts, now when I was about 14 years old I witnessed a little boy who was wearing the same style of shorts get burnt the fabric melted to his skin, did it stop me from putting the same shorts on myself or on my chilren? NOPE! Maybe I am just stupid, or maybe I am optimistic. LOL

p.s. Don't make rag quilts for children they can choke on the fraying fabric! ;)
see my point?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM

[see my point?] Yes, I do, If we examined everything we wear, eat, breathe, we probably wouldn't want to get out of bed in the morning. I quess the old saying, everything in moderation, huh. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM

I just put my energy into trying to not have a fire! :wink:
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Power Poster

The additives in the flame retardent fabrics only last after so many washings...even less if you use bleach or other harsher products. But they don't offer that info on the fabric bolts or tags on the clothing :wink:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

the quilts i have made with minkie backs are very much loved. they are so so soft and wash up beautifully! as far as the fire standards...cotton -- flames, poly -- melted clumps....neither scenerio is a good one, best bet...keep away from fire! i would not base my decision on that, simply because, quilting cottons are not treated with fire retardant like childrens sleepware fabric is, either one is going to be bad regardles of the fabric content. we spend every day surrounded by items that will either burn or melt...safety is the best precaution. the minkie backed quilts are WONDERFUL
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

It seems none of my fabric is flame resistant so I would go ahead and use it.