Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to Wear to a Quinceanera? >

What to Wear to a Quinceanera?

What to Wear to a Quinceanera?

Old 06-30-2016, 04:02 AM

No, I've been to one & it's only the young people who are dressed for a wedding, boys in tuxes & girls in fancy gowns. Black pants & a dressy top will work for an attendee.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 AM

Have a great time
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
No, I've been to one & it's only the young people who are dressed for a wedding, boys in tuxes & girls in fancy gowns. Black pants & a dressy top will work for an attendee.
Oh, good! I have some more dressy clothes but I'm really not into wearing them that much. lol
Old 06-30-2016, 05:54 AM

You would wear approximately the same thing as a wedding. If they are dress-up formal people, everyone should be in formals. If they are a more laid back family, the honoree and attendants dress formally but guests can dress more like going to church. Does that help?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
You would wear approximately the same thing as a wedding. If they are dress-up formal people, everyone should be in formals. If they are a more laid back family, the honoree and attendants dress formally but guests can dress more like going to church. Does that help?
Not so much. lol. I don't really know his wife and family that well. lol

But I think ctyankee has it about right.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 AM

My SIL has gluten, dairy, tree nuts and soy allergies. We are very careful when we go anywhere. But, normally if we look at a rice dish (without cheese) and green salads, we are safe. Fortunately, he is a great cook and we have often brought snacks for him (discreetly) if it is going to be a long event. I also laugh when folks say 'it only has a little' or , because I am a vegetarian, they say 'it only has chicken'!!!!!!!!!! All you can do is smile.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
My SIL has gluten, dairy, tree nuts and soy allergies. We are very careful when we go anywhere. But, normally if we look at a rice dish (without cheese) and green salads, we are safe. Fortunately, he is a great cook and we have often brought snacks for him (discreetly) if it is going to be a long event. I also laugh when folks say 'it only has a little' or , because I am a vegetarian, they say 'it only has chicken'!!!!!!!!!! All you can do is smile.
Yes, people don't understand that even a bit of gluten means that I'm going to have stomach cramps, nausea and not be able to sleep for several days. Its totally not worth it. About the only thing I will eat will be a bit of fresh fruit if it's there. With anything cooked, the chance of cross contamination and getting sick is just too high.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 PM

True Celiac can be a life threatening condition--my nephew almost died from it when late 20's--bled out in surgery (10 units of blood--they couldn't pump it in fast enough) and then he just wasted away--looked like a concentration camp victim. Finally got to a doctor that could diagnose it accurately and just in time--another week or 2 and he would have been dead. Now his 20yr daughter has been diagnosed with both type 1 diabetes and celiac--apparently her auto-immune system just went bonkers in the last couple of years (since she went to college) and they just figured it out with a routine physical--AND the reason she had shingles this spring despite a chicken pox vaccine (and not chicken pox) as a child. Body sure does crazy things.

Have fun at the quincenera--former students would have these and it's a BIG deal in the girl's, and her family's, life.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:55 AM
Administrator

ask the girl's mother. she will know what her daughter is hoping for in terms of guests' dress. she will also know how "dressy" things get among their crowd for big occasions like weddings and quinceneras.

it's a big day for the girl.
dress accordingly.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Spicy doesn't bother me. I love spicy. But I have gluten sensitivity and also corn and milk so it's pretty limited what I can have. Eating out with the gluten sensitivity is a nightmare and something like this will be the worst.
Ah...it might be difficult to find something you can eat, but you might want to bring a little something like fruits or veggies in your purse that you CAN eat. I'm in Houston right now visiting friends and OMG I am glad I moved to Fort Worth. Hot and humid here. We are staying in as much as possible and sewing quilts for charity. But enjoy the party!