What would you do?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 AM

No, sewing and quilting are two different things. Tell her you'll save your BB & Beyond coupons and y'all can purchase there cheaper than anywhere else. IF you do it now, you may be doing it every move.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 AM

My son and daughter in love live in a 19th century sandstone house and all the windows need curtains 110" long, and at least double fabric width unfortunately they don't come ready made in their size. I make their drapes, I tell my daughter in law how much fabric and notions she needs. They then treat me to a spa weekend or trip away for a few days as payment. She reckons it's still cheaper than having a company make them and I really don't mind.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I'd go for the sheer drapes and make one at a time. Tha's alot to ask you to do, by the way.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

If I understand correctly, the DIL is planning to make her own curtains, and is not asking you to make them for her. Good for her, and lucky for you! I don't think they make bolts big enough to cover 10+ tall windows, but since she apparently knows how to sew she will probably also do the math to determine how much fabric she needs. This may be a project that she will enjoy, whether or not it turns out to be cheaper than buying them ready made, and she will probably wind up with better quality than she would get elsewhere. If she moves, the curtains can be altered, or maybe the landlord will buy them for the next tenant.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 AM

I made the drapes for the house we are living in now and for our last house. Lined drapes are a ton of work even when you just gather them or clip them to a rod. There is no way I would do that for an apartment that I was probably going to move out of in a year.

If she is determined to do it, then that is up to her. But I would do some rough calculations about how much fabric she will need and how much that will cost. Upholstery fabric can be really pricey and quilting cottons often aren't heavy enough to hang well on long windows even with some lining. BBB would be much less expensive and a lot less work.

Okay I just did some rough calculations. If you need 2 widths of fabric for each window (probably the minimum) at 84" plus hems and tops, blah, blah, blah. 10 windows blah, blah, blah You're going to end up needing over 50 yards of fabric which is way more than a bolt. Probably 2 or 3 bolts. Yikes! That's going to cost a lot. How about mini blinds? lol

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

If it was my DD I would certainly give my two cents, as it's your DIL, let her do as she wants. You can make suggestions since she asked but don't let her think her decision to do the drapes the way she decides is not the best. She will find that out on her own.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Blinds for me all the way.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Having made most of my own drapes, I would highly recommend NOT doing it - particularly for an apartment. JC Penney is my go-to for store bought curtains/drapes these days. I have odd sized windows so usually make them to fit the way I want but it ain't cheap!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 AM

If I were going to an apt. I would invest in inexpensive blinds 1st and then maybe simple side panel curtains that can be purchased at BBB or Penny's. I have made simple curtains from sheets that come with matching comforter sets. I also can't picture all the windows having the same drapes.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Has she done this type of thing before?

It can be a bit of a shock to find out how fabric is required to make decent looking drapes.