Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG-Would you ever quilt one by machine?  How would you do it? >

GFG-Would you ever quilt one by machine? How would you do it?

GFG-Would you ever quilt one by machine? How would you do it?

Old 01-21-2019, 02:09 AM

Default GFG-Would you ever quilt one by machine? How would you do it?

Long time, no post!

I have a GFG hanging around that I still haven't quilted yet.

I have backing picked out and also binding strips are made.

I bought a hoop frame but just can't face that much hand quilting on such a large project.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 AM

I did with a design based upon Geta Grama's tutorial - How to quilt feather on hexagons. If you go through towards the bottom you will see the hexagons drawn out on paper.

https://www.getasquiltingstudio.com/...-hexagons.html

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I have machine quilted a number of grandmother flower garden quilts. They’re turned out fine. One I quilted 1/4” inside each hexagon, one the customer wanted a large loopy flower over each flower and a meandering leafy vine around / through the paths- that one is by far my favorite- turned out beautiful. I’ve done edge to edge designs. I love hand Piecing and have made quite a few hand pieced quilts- my travel projects, not all English Paper Piecing projects. I machine quilt them all.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 AM

I have seen gorgeous GFG's quilted on a longarm with an all over pattern. They don't have to be hand quilted at all.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 AM

This is very timely for me. A friend of mine has hand pieced a GFG. She got frustrated with not knowing how she wanted to finish the edges. It has languished in her UFO pile. Since she is no longer able to sew/quilt, she has decided she wants it longarmed. Backing has been selected. The question of the edges still remains. I suggested she just trim off the excess hexies and do a straight edge.

I've spoken with a local longarmer and she passed on some pinterest links for different treatments and quilting ideas. None of those links of are her work but she is highly recommended by our local quilt shop.

I'm trying to help out my friend with this - among other - quilting projects of hers by gathering info and doing legwork. I've not looked closely at this particular top yet. I have what remains of her background and additional flower pieces she had cut out. I'm pretty sure I have her original template as well. I'm not quite sure yet if additional pieces need to be added to get it at least 'almost' to an even edge, or if any, perhaps, excess flower parts should just be chopped off.

Do any of you who have quilted GFG's have any photos - particularly of edge treatments - to share?? TIA.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 AM

If the quilt was hand pieced you might want to use a piece of prewashed muslin between the top and batting before machine quilting.
There are lots of things you can quilt in hexagons, flowers, dot to dot, etc.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
If the quilt was hand pieced you might want to use a piece of prewashed muslin between the top and batting before machine quilting.
There are lots of things you can quilt in hexagons, flowers, dot to dot, etc.
I am curious about your suggestion of the muslin. This is a tip I have never heard before. What is the reason? I have a Lone Star that I will be finishing sometime this year, it was hand pieced by my great grandmother and I will finish piecing it and quilt it and I need to know if I should treat it this way. (What a run on sentence. Don't tell my English teachers. LOL)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM

I hand appliquéd my scrappy one to a solid piece of fabric as I didn't want to deal with the edges. I had thought I would "face" it but changed my mind. [ATTACH=CONFIG]607163[/ATTACH]

This was in reply to NJ quilter, but I can't seem to move it to show as a reply to her comment, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails blue-hexies-finished-jan-27-2018002_edited-small-.jpg  

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 01-21-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Nothing says you have to quilt it "non-stop". Just do a bit when you feel like it! Go for it!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I did a little table topper on my domestic. Hexagons