Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 AM
NJ Quilter

This is very timely for me. A friend of mine has hand pieced a GFG. She got frustrated with not knowing how she wanted to finish the edges. It has languished in her UFO pile. Since she is no longer able to sew/quilt, she has decided she wants it longarmed. Backing has been selected. The question of the edges still remains. I suggested she just trim off the excess hexies and do a straight edge.

I've spoken with a local longarmer and she passed on some pinterest links for different treatments and quilting ideas. None of those links of are her work but she is highly recommended by our local quilt shop.

I'm trying to help out my friend with this - among other - quilting projects of hers by gathering info and doing legwork. I've not looked closely at this particular top yet. I have what remains of her background and additional flower pieces she had cut out. I'm pretty sure I have her original template as well. I'm not quite sure yet if additional pieces need to be added to get it at least 'almost' to an even edge, or if any, perhaps, excess flower parts should just be chopped off.

Do any of you who have quilted GFG's have any photos - particularly of edge treatments - to share?? TIA.