Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects >

What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects

What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects

Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

Default What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects

Hello trusted quilters. I am sure some of you also crochet. I wonder what needles and what type of yarn to get for making projects like granny squares and other projects that use many different colors yarn.

My girls and daughter in law especially have been crocheting but they are using mostly ends of yarn people gave them making it hard to work projects with different colors. Also often they have no idea what size needle to use with it or the content of the yarn. I find many very scratchy and pilly.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 AM

There many books and free patterns that tell you the size of yarn and needles. There are are stores, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, that have free patterns in the yarn section. I love to crochet, but not my friend "Arthur" does not cooperate, so I sew. Good luck
Old 12-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Crochet hook size depends on the weight/size of the yarn. They can go from very tiny to giant size, really. Maybe a nice set of multi-sized hooks in a zippered case? I've had one of those for decades.

I would think just about any cotton yarn would be good for the granny squares. Some acrylics are very soft/pliable, some not so much. Probably a sport or worsted weight would be good. They are a bit finer than some of the heavier/chunkier yarns. It's kind of like fabric...feel the hanks of yarn. If they feel yummy in your hands, they'll pretty much feel yummy in whatever you/they make with them. If you're doing online shopping, I'm absolutely no help as I've not shopped for yarn in forever so no clue as to brands/types on the market these days but I'm sure some others will be along shortly with that info.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 AM

G size is a pretty common one that I use a lot. Works well for granny squares.
A nice simple pattern I like is Mile A Minute. It is based on a granny stitch but done in rows not squares.
Walmart carries a nice variegated yarn in subtle colors of greens and browns.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 12-15-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Thank you ladies for your informative replies. I talked to one of my adult DDs after I posted. Even though it was close to 10 PM, she still had me pick her up from her place to go to Walmart and feel skeins of yarn. Great idea and logical thinking NJQuilter quote-...feel the hanks of yarn. If they feel yummy in your hands, they'll pretty much feel yummy in whatever you/they make with them.

We must have looked like an odd pair, mini dog in grocery car basket, and two females fondling skeins of yarn. I ended up with 5 different colors of Caron simply soft. After lunch we will try it.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 AM

That all depends on the size you want the crochet to be when it's done. There are tons of resources online, just type in granny squares.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Two of my favorite yarns for granny squares are, simply soft and Hobby Lobby's Love that yarn. As far as the size hook for crocheting, there should be a suggestion on the label for the size of hook and needles for knitting. A good idea to take their suggestion.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

When my kids were little I learned to crochet because it was a cheap hobby. A ball of yarn and a hook was all I needed. I used Red Heart yard, it was the only brand available local then. I made scarves, mittens, afghans, hats and slippers, then advanced to sweaters. I learned the difference between the yarns when an item was washed. I used cheap yarn for a sweater that took me several months to make and the first washing it was horrible looking and wouldn't block at all. I mostly used G, H, and J hooks for yarn crochet. I agree with buying a set of yarn crochet needles. It's a one time buy, unless you lose one, they all will be used with different yarns. There are a lot of pretty needles now to choose from. I started with the Boyle set then the Susan Bates set. I still have them. I don't crochet much now days but still buy a pretty crochet needle when I see it. Thread crochet will use the thin metal needles.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-16-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Ahhhhh! Crochet was my first love and I've been crocheting, for over 50 years. For granny squares, I would suggest 'worsted weight' yarn and hooks of either H or I. A size G will give a smaller, tighter stitch and J will give a larger, loose stitch than I personally prefer for granny squares.

Yarn is a bit tricky, as not every 'worsted weight' yarn is of the same weight or thickness. Red Heart (sold at WalMart, among many other places) is nice yarn SOMETIMES, but it really varies, from skein to skein. The variegated colors seem to be much thinner and even among the solids, some are rough and some are silky smooth. You just have to look and feel for skeins that are 'plump' and have a bit of give to them.
My favorite worsted weight yarn is 'I Love This Yarn,' sold at Hobby Lobby. It's plumper and works up very nicely.

Never skimp on crochet hooks, when buying them. Susan Bates or Boye are good brands. Many crocheters have a preference because there are slight differences, in the way they're formed. Don't be lured into buying cheap, off-brand hooks, as some tend to have barbs on them, which will catch the yarn and cause grief.

Last edited by Neesie; 12-16-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Aaahh ladies thanks for advice. So yesterday I tried the Caron Simply soft. I am trying to make a poncho, granny square style, for each of my twins. The label said 5 mm crochet hook but I borrowed a 5.5 mm hook. I am not sure how the letters and mm labeling work but mine is bigger then it said on the label. With my first try I miscounted so I had to take it out and with my second try I had made the first row way too loose while I did the second row normal. So both tries had to be taken out and then I thought it was time to take a break and take it all out. Maybe today will be a better day.

http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/...ried-them-yet/

Scroll down 3/4 and see the type of poncho, no. 20, I am trying to make for the twins.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 12-17-2013 at 07:53 AM.