Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects >

What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects

What yarn/needles to buy for crocheting granny squares and other projects

Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Aaahh ladies thanks for advice. So yesterday I tried the Caron Simply soft. I am trying to make a poncho, granny square style, for each of my twins. The label said 5 mm but I borrowed a 5.5 mm. with my first try to get a start going. I am not sure how the letters and mm labeling work but mine is bigger then it said on the label. with my first try I miscounted so I had to take it out and with my second try I had made the first row way too loose while I did the second row normal. So both tries had to be taken out and then i thought it was time to take a break and take it all out. Maybe today will be a better day.
Caron Simply Soft is one of the thinner 'worsted weight' yarns, so the smaller hook would probably be better. It's a bit less forgiving, than some of the plumper yarns, so your stitch size consistency will be more noticeable. However, the drape of the finished item is lovely! I have an afghan I made with it, many years ago (Ripple pattern). It's been washed countless times and although it no longer looks like new, it's still one of my favorites.

BTW, you might look at other stitch patterns, as well. Since the Simply Soft is a thinner yarn, you may have better luck with something other than Granny Squares. Granny Squares have a lot of open space, which tends to stretch and make looser stitches more noticeable.

Last edited by Neesie; 12-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 AM

I have been knitting/crocheting for years. I really love the Caron yarn. It is softer than Red Heart (although they make a soft one also) but the Caron slides along where if I use the Red Heart I sometimes end up having to pull on some of the pieces. I would start out with a less expensive yarn until I decided what type I like best. The Caron size that comes in 16 ounces is a good buy.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

The tension you use will make the item smaller or bigger, not just the needle size. Everyone has a different tension when holding the yarn and that will determine the hook size you need for the pattern to be exact size. Every pattern suggests making a 4" swatch to know your gauge.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Thank you BellaBoo for pointing that out.