Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are your plans for the 4th? >

What are your plans for the 4th?

What are your plans for the 4th?

Old 07-04-2016, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

We are doing the family bbq thing. I have been looking around for some different salads and desserts to make. Ready to try something different.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:42 AM

watch it rain.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:57 AM

Working a 12 hour shift and then going home to sleep. Its all good because the time and half plus extra 8 hours in my pay are well needed.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
We call this hell week. One of my bostons is terrified of fireworks.
It is a struggle to get her to go outside and go potty if she hears so much as 1 firework
go off while she is outside.
We will probably bar-b-q some chicken and try to have a normal evening....
I have to get up for work at 3:30 am and fireworks don't end until after midnight on the 4th. Sigh....
We hear fireworks set off around the local area (not the organized festivals, etc), and I hate them. They echo and to me are just obnoxious. I know a lot of animals get agitated by the sound...a shame really, in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:48 AM

My dog, Miss Bess, is 13-1/2 years old and she is so afraid of fireworks, not to mention thunder and lightning. So, I will be staying home with her cuddling her and keeping her feeling safe. I will share my Subway sandwich with her. She doesn't have too many years left and I want to make sure I take the best of care of her while she is with me. She can be very demanding and we do have arguments now and again, but when it comes to thunder, lightning and fireworks, she knows and I know that I am here for her.

While the sun is out and nice outside today, I am going to finish up laying Cypress mulch and do some weeding and then I am going to take the quilt I am putting together, outside on the deck and bring out the sewing machine and iron and work out there (Miss Bess has a big pillow she lays on while I am on the deck) and hopefully today with everything else I may be able to get it all put together and ironed flat and get it ready to send out for the quilting end of it!!!!

I knew the minister that gave the benediction over the Enola Gay and the crew and I thank God for him and his prayer. He was only 28 years old. He was one of my most favorite men, next to my husband and father, a real hero. I thank God for him because he was part and parcel of our Independence and my flag flies for him.

God Bless America! Edie
Old 07-04-2016, 05:12 AM

I saw a post where someone had made "earmuff" ear protector for their dog. Looked like a strap-on, but not sure what material was used.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:38 AM

We have a great neighborhood parade and picnic in our adjoining park. We usually put patriotic bandanas on the girls and walk the last of the parade route to the park. We will sit on the sidelines in a lawn chair and wave flags this year though. Our little rescue mini-Schnauzer Allie, had bladder surgery 10 days ago and needs to take care until her follow-up on Friday. I bought sliced brisket from Sam's (yummy) and will serve it with corn on the cob, baked beans, and fresh sliced tomatoes. Watermelon and ice cream for desert. We usually go downtown to watch the fireworks, but will watch on TV this year as Allie is terrified of loud noises. There are always people setting off fireworks nearby, even though they are prohibited in the city limits. Allie is doing great by the way. She had bladderstones and other issues when we got her, and she is a precious smart and well-mannered 6 year old who needed a good home. Now she has one!
Old 07-04-2016, 05:42 AM

My aviator is our black mini-Schnauzer Lexi who we rescued over 3 years ago. Allie is silver grey and they are so cute together. I will post pics sometime.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I don't have any living relatives since 1988, so I am just going to enjoy a day of quilting charity quilts and hope the fireworks are far enough not to wake me.
You sound like me, MQ. I'm staying home for a quiet 4th. My only family are on the west coast and the inlaws, well we don't much have them over anymore. That's a whole other story. lol

So it's a (hopefully) quiet day of sewing and a bit of laundry and ball throwing of the dog. Life is good
Old 07-04-2016, 07:32 AM

It's a parade viewing with the grands,and then pack the trailer to go to Sisters,Or.tomorrow.