Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who can wear white to a wedding? >

Who can wear white to a wedding?

Who can wear white to a wedding?

Old 09-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Who can wear white to a wedding?

Ok, so I may not be the oldest bird around here, but I grew up with the understanding that no one but the bride wore white to a wedding. Regardless if the bride is wearing white or cream.

I've been to 2 weddings within the last year where one guest at each wore white; the mother of the groom wore a white blouse at one and a woman who was very curvy, wore a snug fitting white lace dress.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. What are your views on the subject?

Last edited by patricej; 09-17-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM

I wouldn't consider a white blouse to be "wearing white." My understanding was that it shouldn't be an all white outfit. The white lace dress would be taboo, IMO.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:48 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. Anything goes!

Brides don' t follow "tradition". White is supposed to stand for "purity.

Sandy
Old 09-16-2013, 02:56 PM

I've always heard that, too. No one wears white but the bride. also heard the mother of the groom-and maybe the bride too-should not wear black.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I would never wear white but then I am "old school". Some in the younger generation think of themselves first and others not at all. I also still wear dark clothes to visitation and funerals.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Things have really changed in the past few years, tho. I have seen women getting married for the second and third time wearing white. They wear anything to funerals, and I see men and women wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops to church. Even the men serving communion! Our society is an anything goes society anymore.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM

With all the black and white themed weddings in the past few years I think many of the traditions regarding appropriate colors that we grew up with have been updated.

Just like nobody pays any attention to not wearing white before Easter or after Labor Day. Or only wearing certain color corsages for Mother's Day depending on whether your mother is still living or not.
Or only wearing a mum to a football game if it was given by a boyfriend (and not having it three or four flowers with twinkling lights and so heavy it all but pulls the clothes off the girls shoulder).

Ok I'll get off my soap box now!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Anything goes anymore!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:55 PM

I'm afraid anything goes. I went to a wedding that was all black and white. The bridesmaids were all in black. Even the flowers were all black and white. I'm sure the bride thought it would be dramatic but I thought it was just boring. It used to be that only the mother of the groom wore black when she didn't like the bride. LOL
Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
With all the black and white themed weddings in the past few years I think many of the traditions regarding appropriate colors that we grew up with have been updated.

Just like nobody pays any attention to not wearing white before Easter or after Labor Day. Or only wearing certain color corsages for Mother's Day depending on whether your mother is still living or not.
Or only wearing a mum to a football game if it was given by a boyfriend (and not having it three or four flowers with twinkling lights and so heavy it all but pulls the clothes off the girls shoulder).
Yikes! I guess I have been socially out-of-touch my entire life. Never heard of some of these. Never paid attention to the Easter/Labor Day thing because I grew up with so few clothes I didn't have much choice over what I could wear when. Whether or not it was clean and it fit were the major criteria!

Nowadays, when brides wear any color they like, I don't see a problem with guests wearing any color they like too.