Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who can wear white to a wedding? >

Who can wear white to a wedding?

Who can wear white to a wedding?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I would not wear white to a wedding, but I guess I am just old school.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM

I used to be a bridal consultant...there were many a bride who should have worn grey to brown wedding gowns! With the relaxed attitude and live-together-before-marriage, white is questionable for most brides! I guess we should be glad that they are even getting married, a house and 3 kids later they decide to commit and have these huge weddings. I wear whatever color I want to weddings, regardless of the "dress requirements" (had a bride request everyone wear navy or black, not wanting anyone to distract from her. I wore BRIGHT fuchsia). Dark, respectful colors to funerals. Always a dress to both occasions, never pants.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 AM

I dont wear white anyway. Too messy.

I did go to a wedding once. The bride wore white, veil, the whole 9 yards. Her 7th marriage! Not a friend if mine but I was sorry I "witnessed" the charade!

But, i do wear colors to wakes and funerals. Not all black. It is a celebration of a life and their memory. You are there to pay respects but I really dont believe anyone is offended if your outfit is in good taste, you are not flashing body parts and you are not trying to draw attention to yourself. Be reasonable.

In the tradition of my denomination, the "funeral" service is the celebration of the Ressurection. The Easter service, in fact. Of course we grieve but that service uplifts and renews me. I wear some color. My faith carries me thru the rest. I dont believe the deceased would be offended to have color and warm hearts paying respect.

sandy
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM

hahahaha When my son got married last year, the bride chose colors of red, black and grey. The only dress I could find for my oddly shaped body was all black. The bride told me to wear whatever I wanted, black included. So I wore black, but I am thrilled with my new daughter!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Amen and amen!

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Yikes! I guess I have been socially out-of-touch my entire life. Never heard of some of these. Never paid attention to the Easter/Labor Day thing because I grew up with so few clothes I didn't have much choice over what I could wear when. Whether or not it was clean and it fit were the major criteria!

Nowadays, when brides wear any color they like, I don't see a problem with guests wearing any color they like too.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
I personally wouldn't wear white to a wedding, and I wouldn't wear anything but dark colors to a funeral, usually black, but I really don't care what anybody else wears.
I wear whatever fits-LOL!! I am going to a wedding in November and bought a dark blue dress-I am not in a protest but it hides the fat!!!
I knew and have observed most of the old ways but it is a new day with a different social idea or culture-(whatever feels right)-I can not control others but can control me-I am not responsible for others choices either-they will do and be what they want. It is not for me to judge.
I have enough trouble keeping me out of trouble to worry about someone else!!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Things have really changed in the past few years, tho. I have seen women getting married for the second and third time wearing white. They wear anything to funerals, and I see men and women wearing shorts, tank tops and flip flops to church. Even the men serving communion! Our society is an anything goes society anymore.
I so totally agree with you on all that you have said. Call me old fashion if you want but there are certain occasions that must be respected with what you wear, especially to church!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I haven't been to a wedding in at least twenty years. I think I wore a flowered dress. Don't go to funerals, just the wake and wear nice dress slacks and nice blouse. I know all the old things, just choose to get with the times.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 PM

I have always heard that women should not wear either white or black to a wedding, since white is the brides signature color for that day and black used to be the color of mourning. But these days I doubt that many people would notice or care. We're lucky if not too many show up in shorts and flip-flops!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Not necessarily anything goes. It's called manners. Have been to two weddings in the past five years where guests were turned away at the door for being improperly dressed for a formal wedding. If the wedding is informal, that's an entirely different story. I am sure many out there are stewing because we would never wear white to a wedding, it means you are trying to outshine the bride. The ettiquette books are out there, sorry but many young people just were not taught manners or are so arrogant they seem to think it doesn't apply to them.
It breaks my heart to think that someone was more concerned about what someone else was wearing than that they were included in the joy of a marriage! I can't imagine the walk back to the car for the people who had expected to be part of a wonderful ceremony, but were turned away because of their clothes! How sad for everyone.