Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who...or...What...Inspired...You...Into...Your...World...of...QUILTING >

Who...or...What...Inspired...You...Into...Your...W orld...of...QUILTING

Who...or...What...Inspired...You...Into...Your...W orld...of...QUILTING

Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM

My mom inspired me to sew very young.
BUT...
I think it is my love affair with fabrics
that has inspired me into the world
of quilting.
It is a wonderful creative outlet.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM

always loved to sew but went to a quilt show about fifteen years ago and fell in love with quilting....
Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM

My Gram, my mom and my aunt all quilted, guess i came by it naturally. I did not start quilting til they had all passed on tho.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 AM

My mom taught me how to sew. She would let me make things on the sewing machine when I was very young. I made a lot of my own clothes growing up, took all the textile classes I could starting in Junior High and thru college. I have always loved fabric, the smell, the texture, the weight of it, the possibilities. It took me a long time to enter the world of quilting, but now I am hooked, big time! :shock:
Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 AM

My Mom taught me to sew when I was 10 or so, was my 4-H Leader all thru jr & sr high & continued teaching me more thru my 4-H projects. Fast forward 30 years to 2007 when I "inherited" the boxes of fabric scraps she had saved from our clothes making. She had scraps for my 2 brothers & myself, intending to make quilts for each of us. Upon her passing, I decided I would learn how to quilt so that I could make them as her legacy. So, I took a Quilting 101 class Sept 2009 at my LQS and this summer I am finally feeling confidant enough to tackle the scrap boxes. I know that as I piece them together, using Mom's vintage Singer 403, she will be right there with me just like the old days, every stitch of the way.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 AM

My mother in law taught me how to sew and I sewed all of my daughter's clothes for a long time. I'm not sure where my fabric fettish came from though! My husband is in awe at the amount of time I can spend in a fabric store just feeling the fabric!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM

I was in 4-H & learned to sew there, but my mother learned to quilt when it became " the rage" in the late 70's early 80's. I watched her make litterally dozens & dozens of quilts, for mosly family, usually hand embroidering parts of them (she liked a butterfly that was part embroidery part applique)then using the maching only to put the blocks together,& then finally hand quilting each one. I am the "I only machine sew" type, & I like quick results. Although I have & always had a great appriciation for her quilts & her quilting abilities, I just always figured it wasn't for me. Boy was I wrong. Now that mom has passed ( maybe I just didn't want to compete???) I discovered machine quilting & I LOVE it! To each his own! With a vengance!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM

My jr. high home-ec teacher, Mrs. Prentiss was my influence. She was wonderful to me - taking an interest in me at a critical, and difficult time in my life. I'd go in before school and sometimes stay after - and she'd help me with me sewing.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

My mom tried to get me into sewing when I was young but I didn't really get into it. She made clothes. But quilting came from my hubby. Once we had our second child I needed to find something for me. To keep my sanity, lol. So he said take some kind of class for crafts or something. So I picked a quilting class....been sewing ever since. :)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

My Mom taught me to sew.
4-H and Home Ec classes helped develop the skills.

I love 4-H and worship it, though for me the sewing portions were frustrating as our Leaders tended to ignore those of us who had machines at home and had Mother's that sewed.

Sewing was just part of life ... and I had absolutely nothing to do with piecing quilts til about 20 yrs ago when I was intrigued by a Quilt in a Day course and took it! I was hooked, though life often got in the way and there were many years in the midst where I did not sew, other than to mend.

Alas, life has changed, and I feel this time, the passion is here and my stage of life will allow me to continue with it.

So What inspired me? that Quilt in a Day course lit the spark, and for a long time it just festered and sizzled away.

And your 2nd q ... who inspired me? ... myself!

And now ... my inspiration is coming from so many quilters who are on these Boards!!!