Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
You ladies inspired me with your clean sewing rooms. >

You ladies inspired me with your clean sewing rooms.

You ladies inspired me with your clean sewing rooms.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Hi,
I'm Shanna, I live in rural IL. I'm new to quilting and learning slowly in my spare time.
I loved looking at your sewing rooms and was inspired & decide to clean my sewing stuff up. So I took one morning and cleaned the floor & corners of my bedroom. My husband thought I lost my mind, everything had been scattered since Oct. when I began a throw for my brother. Then I began to dream of the day when I can convert & fill up a bedroom for a sewing room. But now all my house is filled up with is kids! But I have a dream!

I have so many question but will ask one at a time. The first one is what patterns do you ladies recommend for a quilt out of my mom's clothes? I cry every time I start to cut one up. But I think it's part of the grief/healing process. May God Bless
Old 01-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Banned

Welcome from TN. Glad you joined. We are here for you and you will find that no matter what you ask someone will have an answer for you.
As for what quilt pattern to use... There are so many to use, or create your own. If there is something that was special to your Mom such as butterflies, horses, dogs, a special flower, whatever it may have been I would try to incorporate that into the quilt. My first quilt ( just last fall) was a wall hanging of 'Antique Spools' in memory of my Mom.
I agree the tears are part of the grieving process and makeing the quilt will help with the healing process. I still miss my Mom and it's been nearly 20 years. I remember a lot of her clothes and still have the quilt she and I made out of scraps from all the clothes she made us over the years. Fond memories.
We are here for you.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 AM

I still miss my mom, it's been 40 years. I'm 47. I don't think you ever get over losing your mom, but time helps with the intensity of the pain...it changes over time.

What about a quilt with dresses...I made one some time back, you can search my posts for it. I think I posted in about October or November...yes, I think November...
Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 AM

I don't have any special ideas for the quilt top but I saw one a while back where the label on the back had a picture of the lady whose clothes were used and a little explanation of the fact that the quilt was made from her favorite garments. I thought that was a nice touch.
Welcome to the board.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Welcome from Central Wisconsin. I don't think moms ever really leave their children. I know mine is with me all the time!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi, and welcome from Oklahoma.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri! My Mom has been gone more than 20 years and I miss her every day! She died before I got interested in quilting. I don't know anyone who quilted in my family, although I found some patches among her stuff. Have no idea where they came from, or how long they have been around.
The ideas given will help you focus to find a good pattern to showcase your Mom's clothes.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM

Maybe incorporate a couple of pictures of her with you and your family members in the pattern you choose. Then the children will know who and what that particular quilt is all about.

I was like you with cleaning my sewing room. I had it in a royal mess after making Christmas stockings for the Seniors of our county, many projects.

I have saved some of my dear husband's clothes to sew up into a quilt one of these days, but not yet. You are probably going to heal better because it's just been to to soon for me to try.

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 PM

When my mom died at age 86, her hands were to crippled for her to sew anymore so when I would go to relieve my sister I would take my machine and she would watch me quilt. She would tell me of making cloths for my older brothers by hand by the lite of a coleman lantern. I will never forget.