Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn between two lovers - errr ... rooms. I meant rooms!

Torn between two lovers - errr ... rooms. I meant rooms!

Just a little levity for Monday morning. ;-)

So here's the deal. In a couple weeks, my little poaching spare "son" (my son's best friend who's been living with us for the last year) goes off to college, so I will have a spare bedroom in the house. Currently, my studio is part of the master bedroom, which is H U G E, but with bedroom furniture, not very conducive to much more than keeping my large sewing table in it permanently. I could also use some of the wall space for storage. I'm not sure which of the two secondary bedrooms I will end up with, as we've told my son he can use either for his room going forward. His room is oddly shaped, but my daughter insists it's bigger than the room the spare has now (it was her room before she moved out, so I'm not sure if she is the best judge LOL).

I NEED to move my computer desk from our master to the spare room as I work from home often and my day starts much earlier than my husband's, and I'm considering putting my cutting table and some fabric/notions storage in it as well. But I'm not sure how well it will work out if my sewing machine isn't in there as well. If you've had your supplies and machines between two rooms, how has it worked out for you? I'm tempted to try putting all of my sewing/quilting things in one room, but I'm pretty sure it won't all fit.

I'm open to suggestions - the only thing that's not on the table is moving our bed to the spare room - my husband won't go for it. LOL I have a large desk, a large sewing table and a cutting table, plus I will need lots of room for storage. The spare room I think I'll have is about 11x14-ish. My husband thinks I should leave the sewing table/machine in our room and move the desk and cutting table.

Ideas?

Blog Entries
    I'd use the very largest room for quilting, and bedroom in smaller room, as all you do in it is sleep, any way that is all I do in mine LOL
    dare to dream

Quote Originally Posted by leaha View Post
    I'd use the very largest room for quilting, and bedroom in smaller room, as all you do in it is sleep, any way that is all I do in mine LOL
    I would, if I could get my husband to agree to it. And I think if it was just the two of us, he would agree. But our college age son will still be at home so it's not likely I can get my DH to agree to moving into the smaller room. /sigh I've tried that already and he's not at all enthusiastic about it. The rooms ARE very close together but still ... he likes the privacy of the larger room with a bath en suite. I'm not giving up but I don't know that I will prevail.

Definitely the largest room. That's what I wish I had done!!

Power Poster
    Promise DH whatever he might want so you could do your sleeping in a little room and your other activities in the big room?

Having the machine and cutting table in separate rooms will encourage you to get up and move more when you are sewing. I know I get in a zone where I could sit in one spot and work all day if it were possible. I purposely keep my ironing board across the room for that reason. After so many years of trying to do it all on the dining room table and having to continually take it off for meals I find any dedicated space wonderful, divided or not.

Blog Entries
    I think you should listen to your husband. AFTER ALL, HE IS NUMBER ONE, RIGHT? Do whatever else to sew. Sewing should be after husband. Just my opinion, and I've been married 65 yrs. and still in love.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I think you should listen to your husband. AFTER ALL, HE IS NUMBER ONE, RIGHT? Do whatever else to sew. Sewing should be after husband. Just my opinion, and I've been married 65 yrs. and still in love.
    Wow - 65 years!!!! And still in love - awesome!!!!

You are probably right on this one - - -

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Why don't you measure both rooms and sketch the lay outs on grid paper? Measure your furniture with twine/string. See where each piece of furniture might fit.. take photos to help place your storage.

I guess I'm lucky. I have half of our basement, and I need all of the room I get! It has lots of light, which is really a necessity. Though, if I had to divide it up, I'd put the ironing board and machine in one room, preferably the one with the most light. You could have a small cutting table beside your machine. Your work desk and "stash" could go in another room.

I would move all sewing stuff to the smaller room and leave the desk in the big bedroom. My Husband doesn't take well to change. So I change things while he is gone. He accepts change a lot better that way. We have been married almost 52 years and still in love.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Can you make one of the bedrooms have an e suite in for his privacy.
    Finished is better than a UFO

When I want to figure a furniture layout I draw the room on graph paper, then cut out the furniture to scale from another sheet of graph paper. Then you can move things around and see which room will work better without breaking your back moving the heavy stuff. My sewing room is 9x11 with a sewing desk, embroidery desk, cutting table, ironing board, 2 dressers and a book shelf. It's tight and no one wants to go in there but me, but I still love it.

Blog Entries
    I would take the sewing machine, the ironing station, the cutting table and the work desk to the smaller room. The odd shaped one might work better to keep the desk away from the sewing area. Leave the storage in the big room. There are lots of attractive ways to store fabric.

The desk absolutely cannot stay in the same room as our bed. That's not negotiable. I start working at 6 am on the days I work from home (three days a week, on average) and my husband snores. LOUDLY. I almost always have calls that early and it's not working at all for me.

I am going to talk to DH this afternoon when I get home and see what's on his mind. A couple months ago he was opposed to moving the bed, but he sent me a text this afternoon that said he might be open to it. He's a pretty easy-going guy, and he usually does whatever he can to make me happy. :-) He has an office space and a workshop of his own, so he understands the problem. We just need to come up with something workable for both of us.

I don't blame him for that; I wouldn't want to give up the privacy or bath either. I'm no help though; I have sewing machines in 3 different rooms and sewing tools and fabric in two of those rooms. I'd love to have an 11x14 that I could move it all into.

Power Poster
    The size of the room doesn't concern me. I have a sewing nook and the most important feature for me is...the sewing machine is far away from our bedroom. I like to sew late at night and sometimes my husband has gone to bed.

I have my cutting table in one room and my sewing and ironing station in another. I have severe back pain, so I set my sewing space up this way so that I am forced to walk to the cutting table, walk to the ironing board, walk to the sewing machine. When I didn't do this, and had everything in one room, my pain became worse because I was sitting too long. This setup works for me.

I'd agree with the wisdom of bearisgray. I know I would be unhappy if my husband were using the larger room for his golfing or woodworking stuff! Move to the smaller one and think vertical for storage! And maybe think sharing office with husband, since he's not using it early.

When I was trying to decide what might fit in a smaller room, ....now, don't laugh...I measured the "floor" size of the desk, desk chair, and overstuffed chair that I really wanted in there, and THEN I taped newspapers together and cut them to that size. I am very visual, and I needed to "see" how much space they would really take.

Worked for me, without having to move the desk...large desk...and I was able to figure out a way that worked.

Dina

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
    The desk absolutely cannot stay in the same room as our bed. That's not negotiable. I start working at 6 am on the days I work from home (three days a week, on average) and my husband snores. LOUDLY. I almost always have calls that early and it's not working at all for me.

I am going to talk to DH this afternoon when I get home and see what's on his mind. A couple months ago he was opposed to moving the bed, but he sent me a text this afternoon that said he might be open to it. He's a pretty easy-going guy, and he usually does whatever he can to make me happy. :-) He has an office space and a workshop of his own, so he understands the problem. We just need to come up with something workable for both of us.
    Sometimes it takes a while for the "seed of an idea" to "sprout"

My Mom would get SO annoyed at her husband (and others, too) when she would suggest an idea - and the response was "That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard" - and then someone else - a week or month or year later - would suggest the very same thing - and the response would be "That's a GREAT idea! I think I'll do it/get it/try it!"

She eventually came to the conclusion that the seed of an idea sometimes needs to be planted in someone's mind - and usually she was just happy when "someone" eventually came around to doing what she wanted in the first place. Although she would have been happier with IMMEDIATE cooperation!

It's great that you have some extra space to work with.

I would take into consideration how many more years you expect your college age son to live with you. If you expect him to move out on his own 2-3 years, at that point you could have 1 room dedicated for sewing/quilting and use the other as your office/guest room. If you're thinking 10 years from now he's still going to be there then I would set up your bedroom and sewing room for the long haul. As others have said I'd move the office desk, sewing area and cutting areas to your new room first. Good luck! And thank you for taking your "spare" son in. I'm sure it has been a blessing for him.

I have my sewing machine and stash in one room and my cutting table and ironing board in another right across the hall. Last month our great niece came for a visit and we moved everything into the sewing machine room. I could see how this one room would work except it means DH would have to move all his computer and crafts stuff out. I kind of like him puttering near by. So its back to two rooms. Actually works out well and I do have to move more.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

My cutting table is the island in the kitchen. My sewing and ironing takes place in the larger of the two spare bedrooms. My batting is stored in the smallest bedroom, along with a bed and book cases. I prefer my cutting in the kitchen - there is a skylight above that area and two big lights also - makes it really good for cutting. I used to have my ironing board tucked under the ledge but got tired of looking at it all the time. Plus the cats were always sleeping on it. It is amazing how much one can store in one room. Good luck with moving all your items to the right location.

If you are going to separate your work spaces, I would put the fabric and cutting table in one space and your machine and ironing board in the other.

If possible I would go on and do a design wall in each room. That way you could do the planning on one and put the completed blocks to be assembled on the other.
    Or have more than one project in the works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast