Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Torn between two lovers - errr ... rooms. I meant rooms! >

Torn between two lovers - errr ... rooms. I meant rooms!

Torn between two lovers - errr ... rooms. I meant rooms!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I would use the biggest room for my quilting. You will be happier since you probably spend as much time if not more in your sewing room..Bedrooms are for sleeping anyway.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM
SSK

We are empty nesters so my sewing room and my husbands office are the two bedrooms next to each other, we both spend most of our time in these. We have a large family room on the lower level that would make the perfect sewing room. The only reason I don't move down there is the fact that we would be so far away from each other and it would seem like we were living in different houses. We talk back and forth all the time. No, we are not newly weds, we are and old retired couple. Married 50 years this coming march.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM

I agree with barny wholeheartedly!! I've been married 40 years, so that's a total of 105 years of marriage between us.

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I think you should listen to your husband. AFTER ALL, HE IS NUMBER ONE, RIGHT? Do whatever else to sew. Sewing should be after husband. Just my opinion, and I've been married 65 yrs. and still in love.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM

I've had to work between two rooms and I definitely didn't like it. Just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Think functions. For me, that would be a big quilting table in one room, and a place to piece in another room. I'd have a small ironing and cutting station near the piecing station, and the thread would be kept near the quilting area.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 AM

I sew in one room and my cutting table is in another room. I don't find it bad. Oh, I have boxes of quilting projects in the cutting room and a big board ironing board in my sewing room. All my fabric, books, magazines and batting is stored in the basement, two flight down.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 PM

I think there is "perfect world" and then real life! Having said that I just moved out of a shared quilting/guestroom where I sewed and pressed - I cut and sandwiched on the kitchen counter down the hall and have all my stash in the laundry room where I sewed in the closet when all of our bedrooms were full.

Now I do everything in one room except I choose to keep the ironing board in the laundry room now (just a walk across the family room) most of the time. The stash will always stay in the laundry room because it's full of storage and it works for me.

So I guess I like having one station out of the room just for a little walk back and forth!

A key thing for me was ONLY moving in what I wanted into the new quilting room (no "inherited" furniture from elsewhere in the house!). I left my beads, laces and other goodies for crazy quilting in the closet upstairs and will decide later on their ultimate home. My new room has a smaller closet and I want to use the room for awhile and clear out some UFO storage space first.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 PM

The biggest majority of my sewing stuff is in a spare bedroom upstairs, and my long arm quilter is downstairs. We've talked about moving everything down stairs but that means I have to take everything out of the storage cupboards before we move them. Gets me every time. 2 rooms works for me.