Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who's visited the Grand Canyon? >

Who's visited the Grand Canyon?

Who's visited the Grand Canyon?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM

When I visited years ago on a school trip, we also visited Meteor Crater. From what I remember, it's basically a smaller hole in the ground (You can see the other side.) that really gives perspective to the immensity of the Grand Canyon. Here's a link to Meteor Crater:
http://www.meteorcrater.com/Visitors-Center-Overview

If I ever go back, one thing I will not do is take pictures. I remember taking dozens of pictures of these breath-taking views, only to be disappointed at seeing how the photos really don't get it across. This is something you can only really experience by being there. If I ever go back, I would just savor the experience, unburdened by electronics and thoughts of who I'm going to show these great photos too.

GingerK - I hope you have a great time!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 AM

That was our vacation last year and we loved it. We started in Sedona and did a wonderful train ride there - stayed at a Great western of Sedona - great views.

Went to Page AZ and took a River Float Trip - 1/2 day - it was WONDERFUL - no white waters so it was easy on my bad back. Don't stay at the Howard Johnsons...well it was just OK.

Went to South rim for the day and did the walking tour...nice - stayed for the sunset and loved that. Stayed at Great Western again - just south of the canyon and that was very nice. Last we went to Grand Canyon Caverns off Old Route 66...this was a BIG step back in time. Stayed at their "Motel"...just like it used to be!

We were traveling with 2 teens - so we tried to cover the events for all. They seemed to love everything we did there.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

We stayed in Williams and rode the train. It was enough time to walk around and see parts of the canyon but unless the food situation has changed, where the train stops there is only one place to eat and it was too crowded and slow service. I didn't see that many places to eat while we were there. Driving to the canyon would be best if you have the time to spend a couple of days to sight see. We really wanted to take the ridding tour down into the canyon but the tours were all filled. It was breathtaking but I noticed most of the children there were bored just looking and not having a great time and wanting their parents hurry up and look. LOL
Old 01-14-2012, 10:22 AM

I've been only to the North Rim. The only close place to stay is inside the park. You can go to the National Park Service website for reservations. Enjoy your trip.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM

We have visited the Grand Canyon in summer and just recently at Christmas. We far prefer the winter experience. Much less crowded, lodges beautifully decorated, staff not rushed, visitors much less demanding. Having taught Earth Sciences for 40 years I of course enjoyed the geology center. Also having taught History I enjoyed the Harvey Girls room, being slightly daring we loved the mule ride to the bottom Phantom Ranch, and back. The winter snow (20 inches) accented the strata and gave more detailed views. We learned on average 250 people are rescued each year. 99% fall in the same category - young males (20-30 years), good health, American, ill-equipped meaning no suitable clothing, no maps, no water, no food, not resting, not following trails, not heading advise. Foreign visitors were the nicest to meet, lodge rooms well priced and clean, food delicious and staff friendly. Hope you enjoy your visit.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Hubby and I took a week's vacation in Arizona one year. We stayed at a B&B in Flagstaff. It was a pretty loose definition of a B&B though. She bought food. I cooked. Anyway, from there we explored lots of ruins, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, the Painted Desert, meteor crater, and some interesting little mountain towns. There was also a brew pub not far from where we stayed that had great food. The one thing we didn't do was go to Phoenix.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM

went to see grand canyon in february, drove from phoenix through sedona and all that fantastic scenery, spent night in flagstaff with snow on the ground. drove to canyon the next day. i kept waiting to climb to get to the canyon but straight and flat. almost fell into the darn thing when i got to the edge however. i never thought that a "canyon" did not need a hill or mountain, amazing to see a mile into the earth. my jaw dropped and i was frozen in place just looking into it. (and i come from where we have it all, seashore, flat land, mountains, canyons, waterfalls, all of it, and i still had trouble wrapping my brain around it. ) if you ever get the chance to see the grand canyon, do it, and do it again. there is no way that words or pictures can ever do it justice, you have to see it to believe it. you will never regret the experience. Mother Nature at her best....
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM

I have been to Quilt Camp in Flagstaff and really enjoyed the classes, etc. One warning about Flagstaff however make sure your hotel is FAR from the railroad tracks! Very very noisy stinkers! Made that mistake twice. Go to the other end of town!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Ohhh what a beautiful place to visit and see. We first saw in 1956 and have been several times since then. I liked it best when we were there in 1956, no commercialization to speak of and the views were just beautiful with some forests as well. The commercialization has now removed a lot of the forests and there are tourist traps everywhere trying for your dollar.

We stayed one trip at a motel on the east end of the park, but don't remember the name of it. I am sure if you go out to the website you can find a lot of information as well. We have also stayed in Williams and taken the train up and back. You don't have much time to spend in the park and sight see if you go up and back in one day, but the train trip was neat and the entertainment on the way back was great as well.

We have also been to the north rim and also went to a place west of the park called Toro Weep. It reminded me of the first time we visited the GC no commercialization, actually nothing there but a portable john. Only so many could apply for camping permits at one time, no railings, so you had to be very careful. You don't want to walk up to the edge of the rim as the rocks roll under your feet and you can slip over the edge very easily. Most were lying flat on their stomach and crawling up to the edge to look over. The views were fantastic and oh what a drop straight down.

If you want to take the mule trip down to the bottom of the canyon, you have to make your reservations a year in advance unless you are lucky enough to get in on someone's cancellation. It never hurts to check to see if anything is available. We have not done that, but I think it would be a neat thing to do.

Regardless of when you go, take your time and enjoy the beauty of the canyon. As many times as I have been there, I would go back in a heartbeat! It changes all the time and the same view will look different at different times of the day with the changes of sunlight on it.

Didn't mean for this to get so long, but it is a BEAUTIFUL place, not just a whole in the ground type thing.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM

We've been to the South Rim several times. We stayed in one of the hotels in the little town outside the park once and inside the park the other times. There are a number of different types of accommodations in the park. We made the mistake of going in the beginning of January once and it was so cold we couldn't enjoy it. But it is beautiful any time of the year.

I also recommend Sedona (great quilt shop there) and Sunset Crater Volcano Park which is near Flagstaff. You can walk thorough the lava flow from volcano eruptions a thousand years ago. It's very cool. And if you drive farther out in the park, there are views of the painted desert. Have fun if you go - AZ is a wonderful place.