Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who's visited the Grand Canyon? >

Who's visited the Grand Canyon?

Who's visited the Grand Canyon?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Don't miss it. A few years ago we were on a trip to Las Vegas and took a few days to visit sadona and the Grand Canyon. It was April but as someone said it is higher so it was warm and sunny on the drive up, but as we entered the park it was snowing. We were told that the North entrance was still closed because the snow hadn't melted enough yet. We stayed at one of the places in the park and would highly recommend that. The website is full of info. Take advantage of the bus system if it is a busy time, but we drove our car. There are a number of ranger talks throughout the day and at different locations at the park. We spent 2 days and we didn't do any hiking just observing it's beauty and learning. Don't hesitate it is one of the wonders of the world in our homeland.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
DH and I are thinking about a spring holiday to The Grand Canyon. We would love some input on where to stay, what is a must-see/do, and what should be avoided. Thanks in advance for any info all you lovely folks can provide.
We stayed at a campground in Flagstaff. So we were seeing the south side of the canyon. We took the plane ride over the canyon and the train ride around the top. Both very interesting.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM

We went a couple Feb's. ago. There was about 18" of snow on the ground and it was gorgeous. It snowed a little bit each day, but no problem for us, since we're from MN and used to snow. We stayed right in the Tovar Hotel right on the south rim. The Dining Room there is a bit pricey, but worth a 6 course meal for one evening meal of your stay. You do need to make reservations for your meal. Bright Angel's restaurant is more casual and lower prices also. There's still lots to do each day, we went to Ranger talks each day and sometimes more than one a day. They have a shuttle bus system running so you don't need to drive your car, once you get there. Call ASAP to see if you can get into one of the many hotels right there in The Village on the south rim. The north rim is closed during the winter = way too much snow over there.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM

The colors of the canyon are very visible even with snow. The atmosphere changes so quickly, one minute it's foggy and within 15 min., it changes and the fogs gone and the sun is out. I've been there twice, both times in the winter. I would like to go back during the Fall, I think, not so many people as summer and not so hot. There's lots of info online.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
cjr

We have been there several times. Abdsolutely no words can describe what has occurred naturally. One time we flew from Las vegas and spent the night in one of the hotels.Rooms were nice, restaurant & gift shop on site. Spent the whole next day on bus seeing the canyon. was great, didn't have to worry about parking. We've also taken the train, one time a motorhome and several car trips. North rim on separate trip, viewing more limited but still great.

This past summer we went to Lake powell and drove back by going over the eastern end of Canyon.

I havwe been fortunate to have been there. From Las Vegas, many tour buses go there, also fly in available.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 AM

In 2005 we travelled to USA for the first time. To a friends wedding in Las Vegas, we decided to hire a car and drive to the Grand Canyon. Driving on the "other" side of the road was different, we stopped at a motel not far from the GC. My husband woke we at 3am to look out the window at falling snow, we had never seen snow falling, the next day once the road had been cleared we drove to the GC. Village, we stayed another 2 days having so much fun in this snow. Once it stopped snowing we went for a helicopter ride( we had the front seats) through the Canyon. It was the most awesome sight I have ever seen .