Windows 10

Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 PM

I had bought a new lap top a couple years back with Windows 7 and paid more just to avoid 8. My DH had 8 on his notebook and hated it. He upgraded to 10 and said it's much better--the features good with 8, but the intuitiveness in use of XP. When I saw that XP would no longer be updated to ward off virus, malware, spyware, etc I upgraded to 10. It has been absolutely no problem to learn--much like XP. Glad I did it.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Have Windows 7 on my laptop. Am looking for a new one that will run Windows 10 -- I usually replace the hardware when I upgrade to a new operating system. I have a couple of programs that won't run and I loose my Media Center so I will probably be using both machines. DH has a lot of photo stuff on Windows 7 and he doesn't want to update.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 AM

I have Windows 8 on my computers, and I downloaded Windows 10 and within a week both of my computers crashed. I sent them to the repair man and he said NEVER download 10 again. First and foremost with Windows 10 they are able to track everything you do on your computers. I certainly don't want someone knowing what I'm doing on my personal computer! So I'll stay with what I have and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Have Windows 7 on my laptop. Am looking for a new one that will run Windows 10 -- I usually replace the hardware when I upgrade to a new operating system. I have a couple of programs that won't run and I loose my Media Center so I will probably be using both machines. DH has a lot of photo stuff on Windows 7 and he doesn't want to update.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
For those of you who were having to find a new computer or change to windows 10 I have just picked up my new HP Envy with windows 10. It would be hard to find anyone who knows less about using a computer than me. I never learned much on the Vista but this one is amazing. I am doing things and learning things I have never been able to do before, learning on my own just by playing on it. So if you are afraid to change to 10 don't be if I can use it anyone can.
ms went back to their pre 8 settings for os 10. it is supposed to be easy, especially for those who had so many problems learning 8. the issue with 10 has been getting it from microsoft as the free online download. the new install, i've read of no problems, but the download had froze computers, wiped computers done everything imaginable to computers w older os' (operating systems). i have a new custom built & i asked for 7 to be installed instead of 8. 10 was just being introduced as free upgrade, i passed til i could learn more about it, if i upgrade in future, i'll uninstall 7, do "clean" install of 10.
...but i think everyone should stay away from microsofts 'free' upgrade. there's a price for free that, i for one, think is too much to pay.
...and i don't use the cloud either. cloud programs, whether ms or apple, have been evolving for last 15yrs ...current clouds originally meant for business use, not home pics. now they are pushing it as 'safe' 'easy' file sharing/storage for bome user to connect their data across all platforms/electronics from smart phone to ipad to lap top or desktop computers. not 'safe, at all. many hackers are having a great time w peoples nude photos etc. my son talked me into trying cloud on my ipad ..i limited what i would allow him to add to it. glad i did. not only did it scramble all my bookmarks, it scrambled all the image files i had set up on ipad when the cloud added them to the mac laptop he had given me. then when you try to disconnect ..it erases some things. year and a half later i'm still working on cleaning up the mess. i don't do cloud.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

my pop on W10 always says some access fees may apply. I will wait until I must get it.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro View Post
I have Windows 8 on my computers, and I downloaded Windows 10 and within a week both of my computers crashed. I sent them to the repair man and he said NEVER download 10 again. First and foremost with Windows 10 they are able to track everything you do on your computers. I certainly don't want someone knowing what I'm doing on my personal computer! So I'll stay with what I have and hope for the best.
you should be able to go into controls and turn off the sharing thing. operating systems have had that access remote thing for quite a while. it enables tech help when you need other more knowledgeable fingers on the keys, at the controls. it's the first thing i always inactivate.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:10 AM

I to am not a computer wiz I had an acer with windows 7 and loved it and through my careless ways of handling I broke it so no choice but a new one which is hp windows 10 and I am finding it rather easy to get around on I have been to see the geeks at Best Buy a couple times and they have been wonderful help they have me set up so it is quite similar to my windows 7 but I have heard numerous complaints from people who has tried to down load 10 onto 7 or 8
Old 03-19-2016, 08:06 AM

I updated my Windows 8.1 to 10 about a month ago and have had absolutely no problems. You should make a backup of your important files before you even attempt an upgrade.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 AM

I am glad to hear some are not having problems with Windows 10. I upgraded (their free upgrade) from Win. 7 Home Premium and not without problems to say the least. I called the Microsoft Help and spoke with 4 people who were of no help at all on the problems I was having with my e-mail. They finally referred me to another number and what was it but a sales office, but then you could get paid help for $100.00 and up. I declined and figured I would take it locally and get better service and most likely cheaper as well. Haven't done that yet and playing around on my own I have found a work around, not the best, but it works. I had been using Outlook Express for mail and of course Windows 10 wants you to use Live Mail, which I went to and what a nightmare thru all of it. I have decided anytime Microsoft wants you to do something you should run and find another way if at all possible. I would liked to have stayed with Win 7 Home Premium, but support and drivers will not be available in the near future, so what is one to do.

Personally I think they should provide support for the older versions longer than they do, not everyone trades up every 6 months to a year like they would like us to do. But it is all about the dollar!

Happy computing and Happy quilting to all.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:26 AM

By "access fees", I think they mean your internet server fee. I upgraded Win 7Pro to Win 10 last Aug....no additional fees. You are supposed to have 30 days for switching back to previous OS, but ea time I turn on I am given choice to click Win10 or return to 7Pro. My only complaint so far is the mail. I chose Microsoft mail for Win10...which is offered in the OS...but there is no 'address' book for saving your contacts. A real annoyance, so I bought Win7Ult for my emb softwares and it has mail program like Outlook Express-- I love it. The new all-in-one just sits there unless I want to see the weather or news. If anyone can offer advice for a mail program for the 10, I would certainly appreciate it. I tried to put Live mail on when it was still win7Pro & not even my server tech could get it to work...so I gave up and installed 10 . From the frying pan into the fire, mail- wise.