Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Work Basket magizines?

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Work Basket magizines?

I have a bunch of Work Basket magazines dating from 1953--1994. Are they worth anything?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

I took Workbasket magazine for many, many years. Did have them all tied in one year bundles ~ not sure if I still have them. I may have donated or put on a yard sale. I loved that magazine until it changed owners and then it seemed to be more about cats then crafts!

Blog Entries
    I found these listings on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Check "completed listings" to see if they are actually selling.

I have found that most old craft magazines have very little value unless they are 100 years old or so.

A good way to gauge that is to go to eBay check if they are being offered and check the sold items. That is often a nice way to get an idea of what people are buying.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Oh my goodness!! A dear friend just gave me a box full from 60's-80's. I started reading them..I LOVE 'em!! There are good hints for gardening! There are good recipes!! The crafts are terrible & too funny! & some of the knitting /crocheting aren't too bad! There's quilting patterns too! And don't forget to read the ads, some are quite interesting! : )

I have a friend who appraises all kinds of hand work. I sent all my mothers Workbaskets books to her for a resource on names of patterns. She was thrilled to get them. She is a certified appraiser of quilts, embroider, tatting, crochet and knit pieces. You may want to check and see if there is anyone in your area that does this and would be interested in them.

Blog Entries
    gosh, i give lots away to Charity but recently looked up 1950's encyclopedias on Ebay and found them selling for $12.95 each! and Nat'l Geographics too. i have 20 years worth. one day maybe i'll be energetic enough to sell some. I hope you find yours are wanted by many.

I wonder if they have been digitized? So many old magazines have been. I would love to buy a CD of Workbasket magazines. I always loved reading them.
    Desert magazine is available on CD, so that is what makes me think Workbasket may be too. Does any one here know?

Blog Entries
    Since they are not published anymore, my bet is that there is no company that sells digitized copies. However, I did find this website:
    http://mycraftbasket.com/workbasket/

I am assuming that the issues are so old they are out of copyright. Maybe there's money to be made in digitizing and selling old copies?

I took Work Basket for years, finally threw them all away, years ago. My oldest Daughter use to crochet the stuffed animals patterns that were in them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.