Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cathy from SC checking in!

Hi, all! It's late and I should be sleeping, but I just found this site and couldn't bear to leave it.

I finished my first quilt last week. My grand-nephew (6) saw me putting it together and, since it is made in his favorite colors wanted it. Week after week he asked me could he have it, and was I finished? My sister, his grandmother quilts but, poor thing, is still a working woman, so hasn't made him one. I evaded his question and finally asked my sister if she would be upset if I gave it to him. She said no. The last few sessions working on the quilt, he 'helped' me by putting the "pedal to the medal" while I guided the quilt under the needle. It was a bit of a challenge, too, when he asked to see the insides of the machine moving. Since I am using my 40 year old, practically brand new, Montgomery Ward straight and zig-zag sewing machine, he was absolutely fascinated! Now he wants to 'design' another quilt and make it - a task I leave to his grandmother!

The top of the quilt is from a pattern in an old quilting magazine of my Mom's. The back is patched together from some yellow fabric that I didn't use on the top, a yard of Transformers fabric that I bought a couple of year ago and some red sashing from my Mom's stash. The back demonstrates one of my quilting challenges - an inability to cut or sew in a straight line! Somehow the top of the quilt looks pretty good. Years from now, when my nephew notices how off kilter the back is, I will tell him "I meant to do that!"

I call the quilt my 'Good Will' quilt because I was lucky enough to find 2+ yards of 2 coordinating fabrics on sale for 50 cents per yard. And, no doubt about it, I have also built up quite a bit of 'good will' from my nephew!

I have two more quilts ready to be quilted, and two more in progress. You don't think this could be addictive, do you?

Well, it's good to meet all of you, but it is time for me to get to bed. But I'll be back!

Christopher's quilt, and the foot he used to help me make it.
    Name:  Attachment-78987.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  77.9 KB

The 'flip' side of Christopher's quilt.
    Name:  Attachment-78988.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  72.2 KB

Fantastic quilt! Welcome from New Zealand

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Idaho! it was very sweet of you to make it for your grand-nephew!

Hi! and welcome from Las Vegas :thumbup: Great memories your making with Christopher! :thumbup:

What a lovely magical quilt for a little boy! It looks great. Greetings from Australia.

Wonderful job on the quilt! Welcome from Northern Indiana!

Welcome from Kentucky

Hello and welcome from Ontario. I am sure your great nephew will particularly love this quilt since he helped make it.

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome! Your quilt is beautiful as is your story of inspiring a young quilter to be!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love your story!!!!!!!! I can see why he wanted the quilt- it's awesome!!! :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast