Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cathy m......what do you think ??????????

Izy
    I thought it was about time I got stuck into these pre-cut blocks you sent over.

I love them to bits...but sadly one of the fabrics was short..SO I had to improvise, I wanted a pattern that would flow with the original block, so do you think this works before I make any more....and just decided that I rather like the effect of the white plain block, then I could practice my quilting techniques in those areas.

So I would love some imput on this guys... the fabrics are gorgeous, and it was so easy to piece together...this is the first time I have done traditional piecing :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those are pretty!
    Can't give you any advice as to what to do except GET IT DONE! lol

Izy
    So you think that centre block will do...but what about including a plain white block, I have some of that, the blocks are only 7" finished, so to make a decent size lap quilt, I need to expand it somehow??????? :D

So come on Terri...wot to do??? IYHO!!

I like the white, it makes the color stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    So you think that centre block will do...but what about including a plain white block, I have some of that, the blocks are only 7" finished, so to make a decent size lap quilt, I need to expand it somehow??????? :D

So come on Terri...wot to do??? IYHO!!
    Ok, I do like the white in there better.
    Is that any help to ya? :)

Oh, very pretty, but what is missing, and is that all you have, or do you have more of the squares?

Izy
    well I think I better make myself clearer...... :roll:

The blocks surrounding it with the half square triangles is the original block pattern - I made six of them.

Then discovered there weren't enough of the floral triangle pieces :cry:

SO I messed about with the fabrics that were left and came up with the other design - in the centre of the picture??

So what I needed advice on is - does this block go with the original one o.k. in a chequerboard fashion OR should I separate them both with a plain white block???

comprendes ahora mi amiga????
    :D

I thought it belonged there. So I would say it looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    well I think I better make myself clearer...... :roll:

The blocks surrounding it with the half square triangles is the original block pattern - I made six of them.

Then discovered there weren't enough of the floral triangle pieces :cry:

SO I messed about with the fabrics that were left and came up with the other design - in the centre of the picture??

So what I needed advice on is - does this block go with the original one o.k. in a chequerboard fashion OR should I separate them both with a plain white block???

comprendes ahora mi amiga????
    :D
    I think that block looks fine!

Izy
    Right then, thats the project for today, after I clean the windows...got my sister coming over on Wednesday....villa got to stand up to hotel inspectors lol!!

Thanks for your help ladies....I was just abit unsure if I would get away with introducing another pattern, as I really liked the effect of the original, how it makes another pattern when they are pieced, so hoped that this would sort of flow too!!

Oh i see, so you have more squares to make more checkerboard effect? Yes, it looks very nice with the white squares, and i like how the centre doesnt have the white squares, makes the centre look like a medallion. If you have enough fabric, a small diamond in the white squares would look real nice, but whatever you decide it is very beautiful! :)

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    Oh i see, so you have more squares to make more checkerboard effect? Yes, it looks very nice with the white squares, and i like how the centre doesnt have the white squares, makes the centre look like a medallion.
    I haven't sewn the blocks together yet Barb, just lay them out.
    The pieces are all pre-cut, so I had to jiggle them around and trim up the purple to match up in size to come up with a block that sorta matches, but is different ...anyway, I think the general opinion is it works, so I will probably make six of those and may include a plain white block as well, lets see how it develops...to be continued...!!

Izy, that looks really great girl :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you hadnīt said anything I would never have known. Well done you inspire me.

Elle x

Blog Entries
    if you cut the two "extra" blocks in half on the diagonal, you could position each of the resulting triangular blocks in the corners of the quilt for balance. you wouldn't have perfect points along the diagonal seams because of the seam allowance, but it would be a way to use all six of those lucsious blocks in one top.

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if you cut the two "extra" blocks in half on the diagonal, you could position each of the resulting triangular blocks in the corners of the quilt for balance. you wouldn't have perfect points along the diagonal seams because of the seam allowance, but it would be a way to use all six of those lucsious blocks in one top.
    Patrice, I will have six of the original 'star' effect blocks plus six of the 'chequerboard' effect that I made up of the remaining fabric...PLUS I have enough white to maybe include 'somehow'...I haven't got that far yet lol!!

I sort of 'think' I follow you...but I may have to come back to you on that, or if you could explain in more detail...when you say the two extra blocks...which ones were you meaning...God I do get myself confused never mind others tee hee!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    since i only saw 6 of the "star" blocks in the photo, plus the checkerboard, i didn't know you had 6 of each type. my suggestion was based on that. given 12 pieced blocks altogether, my idea would be unneccessary. :)

Izy
    I see where your coming from now Patrice, sorry I should have made it clearer, I only made up one block to see if it worked first.....I don't know....these newbies.... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I think it looks great Izy. I do like the idea of showcasing some of your quilting in the white squares. I certainly don't think there is anything in the world wrong with combining more than 1 block pattern in a quilt.

I think it looks awesome. Fun just to juggle things around and come up with something so pretty.

Izy
    Thanks for the encouragement guys...I am enjoying learning a new technique as I have only done english paper piecing really and foundation piecing, I was abit scared of just seaming........but I think I like it now!!
    It wasn't as bad as I thought....think I am too much of a perfectionist - just ask Elle!!! :roll: :D

I love the colors and agree with everyone that it looks just great. You are doing a great job!!

I LOVE your bold color choices and I think they are very pleasing in relation to each other.

I LOVE color, but don't always know quite how to put them together in pleasing ways.

I know there's tons of books in the library about colors. But, it's all Greek to me.

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordelia
    I LOVE your bold color choices and I think they are very pleasing in relation to each other.

I LOVE color, but don't always know quite how to put them together in pleasing ways.

I know there's tons of books in the library about colors. But, it's all Greek to me.
    Cordelia.....these colours were already chosen - it was a little kit of pre-cut pieces that Cathy M sent over to Spain...I think the colours are fantastic - the pictures don't do the colours justice they are much brighter in real life and I have managed to find a very nice tangerine which picks out the colours in the light floral and a dark rich purple batik for borders!!

So all in all I think its going to work out lovely!!!

bj
    I think the two block designs complement each other nicely. I'd go for it!

Ok Izy here is my opinion, for what its worth, I wouldnt use white blocks in it because they would break up the secondary pattern your original two blocks create, which by the way I think is just pretty darn cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast