Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
g'day mate new quilter from australia >

g'day mate new quilter from australia

g'day mate new quilter from australia

Old 09-23-2007, 05:49 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

A friendly greeting from Western Australia to all fellow quilters wherever you are. I have been following your site for about 6 months and finally got the courage to join up. My computer skill are basic and I am new to quilting and have only finished one small wallhanging for a friend and am just starting a new one (for another friend). Even though I am doing more traditional quilting with applique at the moment, my true calling is leaning more towards the art quilts. I have just started discharging and am keen to dye fabrics too but finding time is the problem..there just isn't enough hours in the day to do everything i want to do! I am passionate about quilting and read whatever i can get my hands on to learn more, unfortunately my skills don't match my want to do list!!
I have 2 teenage sons (15 & 17) and i work parttime 3 days a week. My other passion is gardening and we have a 2 acre block about 1/2 hour out of Perth.
Looking forward to 'talking' to you all. :mrgreen:
Old 09-23-2007, 06:08 PM
lin

A big, big welcome to you blahel! I'm so glad you finally decided to join us. If you've put two pieces of fabric together with a middle of some kind...you're officially a quilter!!! LOL It doesn't matter that you've only begun, it'll be fun to have you here to talk about what you're doing and hopefully see some pictures of your work.

I've never tried to make an art quilt, but do admire those who have the imagination to make something totally original, be it an art quilt, a pattern for an original block, pattern, or whatever. Keep up the good work. :)
Old 09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Hi, so happy that you decided to join us here :D Sounds like you got bit by the quilt bug, isn't it great? :lol: I would love to learn how to dye fabric, but I have too many irons in the fire now, so I just oooh and aaah over everyone else's handiwork :mrgreen: Please post a picture of your projects, we would love to see them :D
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Welcome , glad to have you with us everyones so nice, onthis program, You sound like me . my computer skills are awful but i keep on trying until i get it right, i live in Montevallo, Alabama, southern usa. But we do have some pretty tough winters some years, I haven't been quilting but about 3 years but sure enjoy it lately imade a swap with a couple of ladys would you be interested ? Say 10 or 20-3 1/2 " squares for the same , I would love to make a quilt with materials from lots of countrys, and put their name and country on it. even a differant size square would be alright i can put 7 or 8 - 6 1/2" sqs. in an envelope then the postage isn't bad ' Just random cotton's ? Let me know if you will Please keep in touch on
our little group and again WELCOME..... Esther ( Memawsaquilting ( Don't
usenew fabric i'm talking about leftovers from sewing ( Scraps)
Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Welcome, welcome from West Virginia! (USA) :D
Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Welcome to the family! I'm so glad you finally decided to join us! Feel free to post any questions, comments or pictures you like. Everyone here is so helpful and kind. I know what you mean about not enough time. It seems like I'll never get everything finished. I keep saying...One of these days! LOL!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 PM

I'll step in for California and give you a warm welcome!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM

G'day mate and welcome from another down under Sheila :D . I'm from New Zealand, this is a great place to meet and talk and learn heaps of new stuff. We all try to be helpful here, so if you got questions just ask. Check out the pics section, lotsa inspiration there. Hope to see alot more of you.
Cheers ShellyQ
Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 AM

Welcome from Missouri. Glad you join us.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 AM

sounds like we have a lot in common, as do we all who have a creative passion. I have been making some blocks and even designed a couple of my own. But am still just getting started with quilting though I've sewn for years. Not that much in the last 6 until I started with this site. The BOM has been very inspiring, as well as seeing all the pics of the members works. I am also new to computers and the internet and have not manage to get any pics up yet. But hope to get that done in the very near future. And I also started a garden this year. My first real garden, other than a tomato in a pot or a handful of perennials. I'm excited to say I grew quite a few gourds, my squash fed the neighborhood, I'm growing a pumpkin about the size of a beach ball and my tomato bushes are loaded. If they just turn red a little quicker. I was a little slow getting my watermelon going. The only one coming in is smaller than a Tomato and my corn on the cob had beautiful stocks but the head were rather small. Anyway next year I get to do it again. And since I built my raised beds this year, next year I can concentrate more on the planting. So anyway the pt. is welcome! Do not feel intimidated please. Just remember to enjoy the whole learning process while you develop your skills.