Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Greetings from Montreal >

Greetings from Montreal

Greetings from Montreal

Old 03-09-2008, 05:36 AM

Good morning everyone :)

I'm not going to bore you all with my life story, but basically this craft has always fascinated me. My mother is a qualified Bunka instructor, she has taught me knitting, sewing, needle point, japansed embroidery, you name it. I did 3 years of fine arts in college, and I currently work in an auto body shop, painting cars. I've been lurking around and I've read through many of your posts and you ppl are fantastic, and wonderfully informative, I hope you all can help me out when I hit a couple of bumps in the road.

I will be starting my first REAL quilt shortly, and I will have TONS of questions, no doubt, lol!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 AM

Hello Melanie,
You will like it here. I have learned alot. If you don't see an answer to your question just ask and somebody always has an answer. Its not usually me but somebody will. I usually learn from every body else's questions. lol
That is so cool that you paint cars. My husband and boys love working on old cars. You should live closer. We could exchange painting for fabric. lol
Nice to meet you,
Judy in Ohio
Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Welcome! Sounds like you have all the credentials needed, actually more than needed, but the desire to learn is the most important! Glad to have you here and I'm sure you'll get lots and lots of help!

M
Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Welcome aboard! This is a great place to be, lots of help and inspiration and just plain fun! Now, you will have to explain to me what a Bunka instructor is????
Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM

Hi there .. Thnaks for joining us... Can't wait for you to get started!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Welcome aboard! This is a great place to be, lots of help and inspiration and just plain fun! Now, you will have to explain to me what a Bunka instructor is????

Bunka thread art, it's japanese embroidery (sp?)

http://www.bunkawithflair.com/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=1_34_49&products_id=1801

it's kinda hard to see in such small photos, but you can google it, anyway, the finished product is amazing!!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM

Wow! I would never have guessed those were pictures of thread art or embroidery. They look like paintings! Thanks for the link and the info!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Wow! I would never have guessed those were pictures of thread art or embroidery. They look like paintings! Thanks for the link and the info!
It comes printed on a cloth canvas, kind of like a paint by number kit, with all the coloured threads you need, but there are so many different stitching thechniques, it's really cool, actually.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Welcome, and you sound quite talented. Perhaps you can put some pictures of your work on here for we curious type? (love to see those cars!)

I have a sister who'd love to learn how to do embroidery stitches, but is finding it difficult to find projects to use them on! A sampler can only interest a person for so long... do you have any ideas of where she can find some? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Welcome, and you sound quite talented. Perhaps you can put some pictures of your work on here for we curious type? (love to see those cars!)

I have a sister who'd love to learn how to do embroidery stitches, but is finding it difficult to find projects to use them on! A sampler can only interest a person for so long... do you have any ideas of where she can find some? Thanks!
Actually, other that the site I posted in my other message up there, I dont' really know where else you can buy kits like that. My mother works for one of those companies, but I dont' even know which, lol!