Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello :-)

Hi, Everyone,

I just found this forum and thought I would stop, join and say hello! :mrgreen:

I have been quilting about 3 and 1/2 years now and I am mostly self-taught. I call myself an "experienced beginner" ... as the more I learn, the more I see I need to learn. :wink:

I had made baby applique flannel quilts for my babies ... all over 20 years ago ... without a clue as to what I was doing and they loved them to pieces. Then I did no quilting for many years as they were growing.

When my youngest went to college, the nesting instinct hit again in reverse and I decided I had to make a quilt for her to take to her dorm. The two of us went on a shopping expediation to Jo-Ann's and she picked out fabric ... I did not have a plan ... and I bought a quilting magazine that had one of those "teach yourself to quilt with our easy projects" blurbs on the cover. We ended up with enough fabric for two oversize twin tops. Some of the fabric she picked was pink and gold brocade ... I hear you laughing out there :oops: ... because I did not know any better ... and cut it in 6 inch squares and sewed then together in strips and then sewed the strips together. This was one of the patterns in the magazine. With the help of the internet I did manage a pretty decent mitered striped border. :-) I quilted it in the ditch on my basic Brother machine without realizing that it had come with a walking foot tucked into the packing at the bottom. I hear you laughing again ... but that is okay ... I believe that she who can laugh at herself will never cease to be amused. :lol: Everytime she brings that quilt home to be washed, I have to handsew closed a pretty brocade seam that has frayed. Live and Learn.

The second top I made for her with the rest of the fabric had no brocade (thank goodness) :roll: and I followed my own quilting muse and made it without consulting a pattern. By the end of this one I was well bitten by the quilt bug and it is now my favorite thing to do with my "spare" time ... well, except maybe for reading.

I look foward to meeting you all on this forum and swapping quilt talk. :thumbup:

Thanks for listening ... :-o

Have a lovely quilty day, everyone ...

:D Pat

Thanks, Loretta! Nice to meet you :D

I am from Massachusetts.

:-) Pat

Hello Pat! Boy, I can sure relate to your posting. I think there are many, many of us that are self-taught and have learned things the hard way. There is lots and lots of knowledge and support on this site, so pour yourself a large cup of coffee and be prepared to read for hours! Have fun, share laughs and learn lots. Oh, and we LOVE pictures!

Banned
    Welcome from OR! I just wanted to make a quilt and I did. Your ahead of me. I read a lot but I'm not sewing a lot...yet.

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Welcome from Dallas, Texas

Thank you, ladies, for the warm welcomes! :D

I have been wandering around the forum reading and enjoying the beautiful pictures of quilts. My mind is already spinning with new ideas I want to try ... my "list" just keeps getting longer ... so many quilts to make ... so little time ...

:lol: Pat

Welcome from NE CA. There's lot of nice, helpful people here and we all can learn something from somewhere here.

Glad you found us! Welcome from Oregon.

Welcome from FL!

Welcome from Washington State. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. I know I sure do!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast