Hi

Old 11-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Default Hi

I am new to quilting.

I have spent the last 27 years crocheting, cross stitching, knitting, making cards, working with plastic canvas, dabbling with polymer clay.

I really love homemade quilts. I want to be able to make my own and of course practice so next year I can make some for my 4 grandchildren. What a great gift that will be.

Right now, I am making a small lap quilt. May be a baby size if I mess up to badly. We won't think about that right now. One step at a time. I am not looking at doing anything fancy at this stage. Sewing straight seams, getting the blocks to come out to the right size is my main focus.

I have already asked a question and got a quick response and I know in my heart it will work.

I just have to be patient with myself and learn from each mistake, each question find an answer. Will it be perfect? probably not. but it is fun and it is a first. So, I plan on keeping it and hopefully down the road I can say, look how much better I have gotten. That is the ultimate goal right there. Not looking to win any awards. Not looking to impress. Just enjoy myself and have something warm to snuggle up to this winter.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Have fun on your new quilting adventure!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 11-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Wink

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 AM

Howdy from Texas. Quilting is so much fun & there are no quilt police in this hobby. Enjoy yourself & as time goes by you will learn so much and so many tricks of the trade. There are so many talented quilters on this board and are more than willing to help you along the way. Have fun at what you do. We love pictures so we want to see that first quilt of yours when it's done.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I find it fun and relaxing. even when things don't go right, I enjoy it. I don't like it when I forget to press a seam and the sewing machine has a fit. I get frustrated and doubt myself. But, that is when I take a break. I got my first 2 blocks done today. First one has a very obvious error with matching seams. The second block is much better but not perfect because I forgot to press the seams before sewing the rows together. Beginner mistakes. It is for me and when it is done, I will be able to say, this is what I learned and now lets try a second one
Old 11-17-2016, 02:58 PM

I, too, have dabbled with various hobbies. I guess we all have. Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:18 AM

Welcome from Vermont. Have been all the routes you have and still going. There are no mistakes.....only learning experiences.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:42 AM

Hi...waving to you from Virginia. . May I recommend you hit the library and check out a book on basic quilting. Authors Alex Anderson and Eleanor Burns specialize in simple techniques to get over the beginning stages. Follow them, and you will be a pro in no time. We are always here for you, and we love pics of your work as it progresses.