Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Kathleen --- trying to get organized in New Mexico >

Kathleen --- trying to get organized in New Mexico

Kathleen --- trying to get organized in New Mexico

Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 AM

Thank you all for the welcome and for the great tips! Ideally, I'd haul everything out of the room, repaint, and then only haul the best of the best back in. I don't have the time or energy for a makeover that extreme at the moment. Plus, I have some huge pieces of furniture to work around. For now, getting rid of stuff and having a place for everything will be the next best thing. I'm not a neatnik by nature, so it's quite a challenge. Plus, I sometimes think I have more than, a touch of ADD, so I go in my sewing room with the intent to clean and quickly get distracted.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:02 AM

Quiltingcandy, I like a bit of everything, from traditional and Civil War designs to some of the modern designs. I've made quilts off and on for thirty years, but used to piece and quilt entirely by hand. Piecing and quilt by machine is still fairly new to me (only about two years), so I have much to learn.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:08 AM

Welcome from southeastern PA. Organization - hard to do. I am constantly working on that, but it's hard when you have a small space. I'm always changing something around in my sewing room. It's amazing what you find that you can't even remember buying, and a lot of my gadgets belonged to my Mom - she didn't quilt but sewed and did that very well. Good luck with your work and hope to see some pictures of any projects you do get completed.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 AM

My mom didn't quilt or sew (she's still alive, but in the later stages of Alzheimer's), so I can't blame my hoard on anyone but myself. I'd see a fabric, book, or some kind of gadget and would *have* to have it. Like somehow that item would create the beautiful quilts all by itself. After the purge, I've decided to go with the one item in/one item (of equal or greater size) out rule. My husband and I have done that successfully with our joint spaces for years with much success. He's retired Air Force and a total neat freak. It's just my sewing room and office that look like a tornado swept through them.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 AM

I tried to post a photo, but am getting messages that the image failed to post.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from the Gulf, by way of Corpus Christi, Texas. I try to do a 5 minute purge. Sometimes it stops at 5 minutes and sometimes it may go on a few more minutes. I try at times to act like I'm putting clean laundry where it belongs. Also love my toolboxes for different notions if you have a small space.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:41 AM

Okay, I think I figured out how to resize my image. This is the view from the doorway.
Attached Thumbnails img_1606.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 08:45 AM

Not too bad, you say? It gets worse....
Attached Thumbnails img_1592.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 08:50 AM

And worse...
Attached Thumbnails img_1591.jpg   img_1589.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 AM

And worse.... What is that furry thing on the floor that looks like a mouse? Why, I think that's a big clump of dog hair! Ick!
Attached Thumbnails img_1607.jpg