Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Long winded and new. >

Long winded and new.

Long winded and new.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Hi Ladies! I have been visiting this site for a while now and have learned so much. Thank you all. I was really never interested in sewing much until I received an old steamer trunk from my grandmother after she passed away. This was in 2005. You can imagine my suprise when I opened it up and found........lots of vintage fabrics from the 30's 40's 50's and 60's! My grandmother was an avid seamstress and made alot of clothing for us grandkids when we were little. Those were in there as well. I intantly thought about making a quilt. I had absolutely no eathly clue how to do it. I just started cutting squares. Then I started sewing them together and then after I had the quilt top done, That's when I hit the internet to find out what to do next. I finished it and man is it gaudy! I love it though because of the memories in it. I have yet to find a walking foot for my machine, so I tied it. I thought it turned out fairly good for somebody who totally guessed how to make one. I have come along way since then because of everyone here. Thanks again and hope to post more of the quilts I've done and future quilts!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60488.jpe  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 PM

What a wonderful treasure of memories you have created!!! It looks great and has such special meaning to you!! Congratulations on getting your first quilt done! Do you have more fabrics to work with now that you have a little more knowledge and experience?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:06 PM

I have. I have made some T shirt Quilts for my sons and and a lap quilt for my mother in law. I am currently working on a tshirt quilt for my husband, for christmas. (something he asked for) This is a tshirt quilt i put together for my son when he was serving in the Navy aboard the USS Cole. It's small cuz well their bunks are small. I made with tshirts from his then girlfriend and now his wife. The purple one is for her out of his tshirts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60489.jpe  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board Bell! And those are all lovely quilts. I don't think the 1st one you did is gaudy at all....it looks to me like a true memory quilt...just with all the clothes for you and your brothers/sisters//cousins....looks like a great time to me!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM

What a treasure to get all of those vintage fabrics!

Your first quilt looks great by the way.Keep up the good work and welcome to the board!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from an Iowa girl! My sister and I recently spent time pouring over a quilt with clothing scraps from our childhood. Brought back so many memories for us. You will treasure it always. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Welcome to the best board in the Net :D
Your quilts are wonderful..
Oh I'm from Oklahoma
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM

I just love your first quilt, Bell. It is delightfully scrappy. It goes so perfectly on your old style bed. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 PM

The quilt is beautiful. One of my favorites is a scrappy quilt. They are so colorful, and wonderful to cuddle up with. Keep on quilting.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Hi and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Love the first quilt I don't think its gawdy at all , it is a true family keep sake :mrgreen: