Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Gorgeous Redhead/Redeye story. alert:long winded >

Gorgeous Redhead/Redeye story. alert:long winded

Gorgeous Redhead/Redeye story. alert:long winded

Old 11-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Default Gorgeous Redhead/Redeye story. alert:long winded

I just purchased an amazing Readhead and I am so excited! This past summer I bought my very first back clamping Redhead (66-1)...she was a little worn although her decals were mostly intact (except for the front line that was fairly worn off) and the treadle cabinet needed work on the lid (don't they all). I got it for a really good price because she was frozen. I spent a couple of weeks "de-icing" her and refinishing the lid, etc. she looked very pretty when I was done and my son asked if he could buy it for his girlfriend because she wanted one for decoration (argh!) but you know how it is....you tend to do for your children when you can so I said i would just give it to him no need to buy. Besides, this one had come with no attachments and I soon discovered they aren't as plentiful as the side clamping. I have 30+ machines including 4 treadles so who needs another one, eh?
well....as soon as I did that I had a little regret. After all, I didn't have a Readhead and I had really wanted one. So the hunt was on. I thought this time I would make sure it was a side clamp version. I didn't tell my hubby cuz I KNEW he would roll his eyes. But alas, the machine sellers have gone crazy in my area and are asking $400 up and even asking $300 for Singer clones. So although I saw a couple of acceptable ones I wasn't tempted. Until this week. I saw one on CL and it was less than $50 (My tipping point). Wow, wow! I called, made arrangements to pick up after work. When hubby came home I told him and he said...."NO". What!? He has never said that and I was in shock. So I pouted a bit, heavy sighed. I said well I suppose I better call him and say forget it. But after I promised we would junk the cabinet and just keep the head he relented and off we went to pick it up. The photos were the typically bad so I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting. I noticed when we arrived that it didn't seem like it was in a Singer cabinet. But it was dark in the garage. The machine moved freely, I negotiated lower and off we went.
Now...this is always my favorite part of buying machines...!...first I was amazed and ecstatic at the condition of the head. Decals probably 90-95% intact, clean as a whistle and smoooooth operation! As I looked a little further, I noticed the needle clamp was missing, spool pin missing and it was a back clamp. Oh well, easy enough fixes. But it being dark when we picked it up and unloaded it, I had left the cabinet in the garage. Hhhmm I thought....I wonder if there is anything in the cabinet. Well Jackpot! All the missing items and way more than I could have hoped or dreamed for. And my hub had tried to convince me leave the cabinet with the seller! No way am I junking the cabinet either. It IS a Singer cabinet and is in very nice shape. I am so amazed because the guy said he had bought it at an estate sale years ago and used it as a bedside table. But now his current girlfriend said it had to go. I am so curious as to why he hadn't junked the contents of the cabinet long ago. It even had a motor, etc. Here are the pics. Can you believe it? She looks brand new! I had a split second jolt where I thought "I hope this isn't a repro!" I will post another thread with questions about unidentified items. Oh! Btw...this is fresh from the sale I haven't even cleaned it and I don't really even need to!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Cogito; 11-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Default Gorgeous Redhead/Redeye continued

I am posting photos of my new redhead 66-3 (born June 16, 1921)and all of the attachments, etc I found hiding in the cabinet. There is an almost complete set of back clamping accessories as well as side clamp accessories for other Singer models. There are several nice original 66 bobbins and even a couple of shuttle bobbins! When I first looked at the machine it had the add on Singer light and I was a little bummed but then couldn't believe my luck when I found the original access plate to replace the light frame. I am curious about that motor controller I have not seen that. What can you tell me about it? Also take a look at the drawing room cabinet. Surely that isn't the original way to operate the door open/close mechanism? It seems like something may be missing.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Cogito; 11-30-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Here are more pics of this lovely machine.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Cogito; 11-30-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:26 PM

I have since put her back in her cabinet and placed a new belt on the treadle. Such a dream to treadle!
i will very soon redo the cabinet so it is as pretty as the head!
Old 11-30-2014, 03:45 PM

That cabinet is orginal, and getting one that is not missing the support bar is great! That is more what it's for, when you open it fully that becomes the "leg" that supports the flip top.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...net_23-24.html

But don't you dare talk about scrapping that cabinet!!!!

I have one like yours, and the more ornate version with the embossed wood trim. I assume you've got the removable drawer sitting out.

I recognize that cam -it's what one of my White "Dashboard" machines takes.

That is a neat older style foot pedal, so you got a very nice deal.

I have that same Singer box, and a manual for a 128 that shows that box for the accessories.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:29 PM

What a beautiful machine! It looks like it was rarely used.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That cabinet is orginal, and getting one that is not missing the support bar is great! That is more what it's for, when you open it fully that becomes the "leg" that supports the flip top.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...net_23-24.html

But don't you dare talk about scrapping that cabinet!!!!

I have one like yours, and the more ornate version with the embossed wood trim. I assume you've got the removable drawer sitting out.

I recognize that cam -it's what one of my White "Dashboard" machines takes.

That is a neat older style foot pedal, so you got a very nice deal.

I have that same Singer box, and a manual for a 128 that shows that box for the accessories.
lol, have no fear Cathy! As soon as I got home and saw the cabinet in the light I realized it was a Singer cabinet and that it was in really nice shape. So it stays....with its sweet 66.
I was surprised though that the foot pedal on the treadle does not say Singer. I thought they all had Singer logo on them.
Do you want the white cam? I have no need for it and would be happy to send it on to you gratis.
What do you think of those huge needles? They have a round shank... No flat side. Are they industrial? They are at least 1.5 times as big as the 15x1.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:43 PM

Can anyone show me what accessories completes the Black Singer box and how they are put in the box? I have a couple of 128's so would like to put this set together.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 PM

That is a beautiful machine. I am envious!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Well,well,well, she is certainly a pretty redeye..do you know what year she is??? Enjoy and thanks for sharing your story.