Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Making a patchwork quilt? >
  • Making a patchwork quilt?

• Making a patchwork quilt?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:21 AM

Looks like you are getting good advice so I will only add - Welcome from Arizona.
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:28 PM

So much information available on line, Kyle. Do some homework and you will be ready to start. Also, can't beat a good basic book on the subject. And the QB is a great place to ask questions. So much knowledge here! Enjoy!
    Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
    Power Poster

Here's a page of YouTube videos to help you get started:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZdgpQ49xGM

There are many machines and gadgets out there, but remember-- all a quilt is, is three layers (top fabric, some sort of batting, and bottom fabric) held together with stitching. And some are not even stitched... just 'tied'! Watch as many videos as you can find online, because a picture is still worth a thousand words!
    Old 03-11-2016, 12:01 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome from East Tn.
    Old 03-12-2016, 05:54 AM

Welcome from OHIO!
    Old 03-14-2016, 02:28 PM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome from an Iowa girl
    Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM

Hi !! I am quite new aswell. Maybe we can walk through this together. I have to say that I watched a lot of video on you tube, especially the one from Missoury Star company. They are very easy to follow! One small thing that I learn from the beginning...the iron is your friend, but can be your enemy too...so Try to find your perfect way to use it, prss and not stretch fabric. I started with simple squares rows ..so I had to focus on where to press my seams on the back to make everything fit ( one row in one direction the other in the opposite. Even if I know that someone press them open my understanding is that the quilt is more strong if you press them this way ( I think especially if you do blanket ...if you do wall hanging that will not requires the same amount of washing and stressing I guess it is not important.)
    Start with something small to try so you can easily finish it. A finished piece will give you confidence to go on and on. These things worked for me...I am learning by myself because I live in a place where I cannot go to lessons...so I hope I didn't say anything wrong. ( in case please correct me)

Have a nice day.
    Gerry
    Old 03-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Smile

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
    Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 AM
    Power Poster

sounds like it's time for you to visit a store and get some fabric. be careful...it's addicting!
    welcome from Long Island NY. if you put your town in you avatar, maybe people will close toyou so you can quilt together.
    I did that and now have some quilting friends and meeting new ones too. good luck and have fun. oh, and there's no rules in quilting. do what you like and what you want to do. have fun.
    Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 AM

Welcome from Canada.. When I 1st started didn't know how or where to learn.. They didn't have all the tutorialson computer so I joined a quilt guild in my area. But ladies had their little groups and I truly felt alone. Parents passed away when I was in my 20's they never had the chance to teach me.. Found a singer sewing machine $10.00 in garage sale, and didn't know how to operate it, had to hunt down instructions on how to thread it.. lolEventually, I took a few classes that cost me to hear the instructor say my thread tension was no good and needed to get a new machine. OMG was I upset. Hung on, kept at it and realized each have their taste, style and I developed my own.. Now, they have you tube like Missouri star quilt company that has excellent you tube and fat quarters shop. Eleanor burns have plenty of books and Cd's designed for the beginner quilter. Always good if can join in with someone but not all have the same quilting habits. Enjoy, don't give up, ask lots of questions, don't be afraid to say in your local quilt shop:"Can someone help me with this?" other customers will be happy to help out.. You might even develop a good friend..