Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Making a patchwork quilt? >

Making a patchwork quilt?

Making a patchwork quilt?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:02 AM

Default Making a patchwork quilt?

Hi, New on board.
I am a complete novice and wonder how to make one. How do you make it into a quilt what material for the backing or the inside and how do I do this any advise would be much appraised.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

Cotton fabrics; patchwork quilts can be made many ways, to me a good beginner size is 6" squares. Sew the squares together into rows, sew the rows together until top is size you want, measure it, you can buy regular quilting cottons & piece a backing or you can purchase wide backing fabrics ( often 90" - 108" wide) backing & batting need to be a bit larger than the top. There are literally thousands of tutorials, videos to watch to learn the whole process or visit a local quilt shop & take a class.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Welcome!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:02 AM

Welcome from Tennessee. You need to check out some you tube videos or stop by a local quilt store. There will be plenty of help here once you get started. Just beware. This hobby is very addictive
Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Corpus Christi, Tx. Let the addiction begin. Many videos and you may want to start with something small like a placemat or table mat. If you go to Missouri Star Quilt Company website Jenny has videos on how to quilt and different patterns for the beginner. You can pause and go back if you want.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Welcome! I would start by watching some of Jenny Doan's video from the Missouri Star Quilt co. Pick a simple table runner pattern to start to get the basics of piecing cotton fabric. Once you have your table runner top, cut backing fabric and Hobbs 80/20 quilt batt and make a sandwich. Quilt it by hand or machine and then move on to something bigger.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 AM

welcome from se TX to a new quilter -- this site and its members will be so helpful!!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Southern California. I would look for a simple pattern on
https://www.quiltinaday.com/
She has many videos to watch along with simply written instructions. I start out watching her on her TV show and using her books.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM

"My First Quilt Book" by Carol Doak may be in your public library. Ask around to see if there is a quilting group that meets at a place and time convienent to you. "The art of Machine Piecing" or "Mastering Precision Piecing", both by Sally Collins are priceless for learning. I love thrift stores and always check out the craft book section first, then move on to the sewing patterns and the section where fabric yardage is displayed. The Sally Collins book was highly praised by a speaker who came to our meeting, and I lucked out by finding it in a thrift store that same week. Again, see if it is in your public library system before you decide to buy.
Good luck on your journey and make sure you pack a seam ripper.