quilt binding

Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 PM

i just completed a large quilt. the adges can't be totally straight. i know about measuring ascross the center but does the binding have to be bias or can it be straight grain? IF i had a digital camera and IF i knew how to scan i would show a picture. i would love to introduce myself but i don't know how. thanks.

butterflywing in the garden state.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM
bj

If they are mostly straight edges, I think your binding could probably be cut straight of grain. If they are scalloped or curved, you need bias binding. We're glad to have you with us so welcome from Texas!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:24 PM

Welcome to the quilting board from your northern neighbour. Just to let you see that although we all agree on quilting being a highly preferrable activity, we all do things a little differently. I was taught to make continuous bias binding and double it for added wear-ability on quilt edges. Here's a link to how to make it. I love it. Like you, I'm still trying to figure out posting things, so if the link doesn't work you'll have to copy and paste.

[/url]http://www.mccallsquilting.com/lessons/fundamentals/index7.html[url]
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 PM

that's a good site and i have bookmarked it for the future. but they don't really answer my question. thanks for the try.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Hey butterfly, nice to meet you and welcome....oh, shhhh, you are actually already in the introduce yourself section :) :) :) So very nice to meet you :)
Old 08-18-2008, 03:28 AM

you all have so kind to me with my problem. thank you very much.

for the future can anyone walk me thru posting on the main forum? i am techno-impaired and need step-by-step directions. i read in the basic instructions that there is an icon in the upper-left corner for posting new threads on the main forum but i don't see it. because of a siezure disorder that has affected my ability to learn new multi-faceted jobs, i really need written directions like this:
1. turn on your computer (here i'm exagerating)
2. type in quiltersparadise.com (here too)
3. click onto...whatever
and so on. please be very specific.

but i think you get the picture. i know how to reply to postings and i know how to introduce myself, but how do i start a new thread (for future reference)? when i get my emails i see a list of new subjects. where do they come from? when i bring them up i can reply, but how did they get there?

any help is much appreciated. thank you all
Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 AM

i'm still not getting this. i know how to reply to you. i don't know how to ask a new question about a new topic in, say, the newsletter or the main page. that's where i need step-by-step help.

i know it's not you all. it's me. please be patient.

for example, does this kind of question and answer really belong in the 'introduce yourself' dialog? i think it really should be in the main message board, no?

on the main page i see there are new questions put out there for the world to see. how can i get a question there (not this one - you already helped me out with this one) sometime down the line? i feel like an idiot!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Banned

Butterflywing,

At the top of the page, click on help.

It has a step by step process with pictures. I think it might help you with posting new messages.

Also, if you click on "Back to home page" it will take you to a list of categories and a description of what goes there.

Judy
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 AM

judy,

on the email newsletter first page there is a listing of all the topics under discussion. how can i get my topic there? so far, no one has been able to help.

it should be 'recent topics' but i don't know how to get there.

i don't see a button that says 'new topic' or 'new thread' or anything.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 AM
Banned

Click on the topic you want to post in.

Then when the page comes up, there will be a button at the top left side of the the page to post a new thread... be sure to go to help and read through it, it has pictures of how to do this