Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Quilting in California - it's too hot to do anything outside >

Quilting in California - it's too hot to do anything outside

Quilting in California - it's too hot to do anything outside

Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 PM

I was looking for a quilting forum because I have a specific question, but I'll introduce myself first then post my question in the main forum.

I've sewn all my life (I'd like to say that's only been 30 years, but I have to explain that 37-year-old daughter somehow). When said daughter was getting married, I realized I had kept scraps of all the clothes I had made her through the years, so naturally, I thought I would make her a quilt.

I bought the instructions and templates and accessories for a double wedding ring quilt and thought, this should be easy...what did I know? Eventually, it came out pretty good and I had cut enough of those little wedges to wrap coordinating frames around all her school pictures, too.

Next, I altered my best friend's wedding dress for her daughter and made all the bride's maid dresses - so she has one with all the fabrics from her wedding. I've made little 3-foot by 3-foot quilts for all my relatives and friends since - we usually have everyone sign the back at the receptions. That initial template investment was certainly worth it. Don't know if I can made any other type of quilt, but give me a curve and I'm there.

K Cama
Old 07-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Welcome from the midwest. I'm a new quilter and would love to make the double wedding ring quilt but the curves make me trimble. I've only done straight lines. Maybe someday I'll try it.
You will find ladies (and Tim) that are very helpful and friendly here. I haven't been on the forum for long but I feel as if I have made a lot of friends and I'm not afraid to ask any question because I know that I'll get a lot of friendly advise. So go ahead and ask your question and I promise that you'll get several answers.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 AM

I'm a former Ohioan myself (uh, in Ohio, we thought we were the midwest, guess the Mississippi area people think we are Easterners). I posted my question in the general forum and received the perfect answer...which of course led to more questions.

Maybe because I didn't know better, I didn't find it that hard to make the double wedding ring. Of course, I've been sewing all my life from doll clothes to Renaissance costumes.

I wouldn't even consider trying it without the templates now that I have them. With my daughter's I did all the tiny wedges. Most of the other ones I've made are with the larger arc in one piece - that does make it quite a bit easier. The first few times I carefully followed the directions that came with the template kit, especially the order in which to put the pieces together. I still refer to it if it's been a while since I made one.

For the first one, mark the dots and pin carefully, since the curves are stretchy it's tricky, but then again, it's more forgiving. Maybe start with the 3x3 one to gain confidence.
KCama
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 AM

there is a foot called " Curve master' that really works!! no more being shy about curves!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM

Wow, I checked it out. Almost seems too good to be true...can I possibly live without pins?

I'm heading off to my quilt store to see if they carry them.

Thanks,
KCama