Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Quilting Newbie from Georgia >

Quilting Newbie from Georgia

Quilting Newbie from Georgia

Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Hi everyone! I am a SAHM, married 36 years, with a beautiful (almost) 19 year old daughter. I "retired" from a 17 year teaching career when she was born, and have never regretted it! I home schooled her from the beginning--she graduated from HS this past spring. I learned to sew as a teenager, and through the years picked up many needlecraft hobbies, mostly thanks to my Mom, who shared not only her love of needlework, but some of her stash as well. I've mainly done hand embroidery (cross stitch, hardanger, etc.), but throughout it all, kept sewing. I was never interested in quilts, other than admiring them, and understanding the work, as well as the love, that were put into them. Then I found Watercolor Quilt Kits, and they made it sound so easy...I ordered a beginner's kit. I'm not sure I'll do anything but the one kit I have, but I can feel the tug--there are so many beautiful quilts out there! We'll see what happens. Since I have never done a quilt before, I figured I should look for a group that I could go to for help, just in case, and decided this looked like a good place to be. So here I am!
I look forward to getting to know everyone, and I promise I'll try not to be so longwinded next time!! :D

Marg
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Hiya Marg,

Welcome to the group....I must warn you, I haven't met anyone who can stop at making one quilt... :D Looking forward to getting to know you. :)

Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to our group! We are a friendly bunch and would love to help any way we can :D I will warn you too, that after my first quilt top I became hopelessly addicted to quilting :lol: There are so many different styles, techniques that I am constantly drawn to try something new. Our block of the months are a good way to try out new methods. It only takes a little fabric and time and I would probably never have tried paper piecing or some of the other blocks, either if it wasn't for this fun way of trying them all out. I did find that it was not as difficult as I thought and it was a lot of fun to stretch myself in other areas. We have had one online class and there is talk of more after the holidays. It was so much fun and I learned that the quilt as you go method was so easy and fast to do. :D
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
lin

Welcome to our (always) friendly and (very) helpful group Marg!! We'd be delighted to be part of your journey as a quilter. Be careful though...once you've made one, you'll never look back! :lol:

I do hope you enjoy the site. And I look forward to the day when you post a picture of that very first quilt. :D