Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why FW?

Blog Entries
    Hi, I'm fairly new to quilting, and am having a blast. I'm currently working on my first 2 quilts for my kids so lots of leeway! My question is what is so special about featherweights? I inherited one several years ago from my great-aunt. It was made in 1939 and that's all I know about it. I actually don't even know if it works... I guess I should find out.

Blog Entries
    Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

They are a nice, light weight machine that sew beautifully :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

I can't answer your question, but if go to the search tab at the top of the page you will find many posts about them.

Welcome from NE Indiana :thumbup: I've asked myself that question several times. They are cute, but I'll take my modern "do everything" machines anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    I inherited one several years ago from my great-aunt. It was made in 1939 and that's all I know about it. I actually don't even know if it works... I guess I should find out.
    Lucky you! You should give it a try. That might answer your question.

Blog Entries
    They are so cute, and very light weight so easy to take to classes, bees or guild or to retreats. They are supposed to make a really great streight stitch. and they are so cute! They are easy to take care of also with out having to take them in to shop and pay $50. or more each time to be serviced. Billy has a whole tut on how to care for our machines, I will be really looking into doing the care of my FW, but want to know how to do it properly. So will be checking out Billy's thread.
    I would say check it out and clean it and give it a try, you might fall in love with it, and you sure can't beat the price!

welcome!

They are great to take out to sew! That's my travel machine.

How do I love my Featherweight? Let me count the ways. (with appologies to R. Browning or somewone who wrote that first.)
    Dependable, very portable, (I go to a bee once a week and it is my Bee machine) Light at 12 lbs (heavy feathers i guess.) cute, easy to trouble shoot, easy to fix--usually a thread caught somewhere, did I say cute? takes up very small space at the bee, sews beautifully! easy into and out of my car. fits into a small wheeled trolley. AND it's so cute!

It is a status symbol. Just mention Featherweight and everyone gasps. :) You'll be the envy of every other quilter, especially since you inherited it. Its a real keeper, so oil it up and try it out. Oh, and we'd love to see a picture of it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast