Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Why FW? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/why-fw-t79222.html)

luvnquilt 11-28-2010 08:43 AM

Hi, I'm fairly new to quilting, and am having a blast. I'm currently working on my first 2 quilts for my kids so lots of leeway! My question is what is so special about featherweights? I inherited one several years ago from my great-aunt. It was made in 1939 and that's all I know about it. I actually don't even know if it works... I guess I should find out.

amma 11-28-2010 08:45 AM

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

They are a nice, light weight machine that sew beautifully :D:D:D

Sadiemae 11-28-2010 08:46 AM

Hello, and welcome from Idaho!

I can't answer your question, but if go to the search tab at the top of the page you will find many posts about them.

Quilting Di 11-28-2010 08:47 AM

Welcome from NE Indiana :thumbup: I've asked myself that question several times. They are cute, but I'll take my modern "do everything" machines anyday.

quiltsRfun 11-28-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
I inherited one several years ago from my great-aunt. It was made in 1939 and that's all I know about it. I actually don't even know if it works... I guess I should find out.

Lucky you! You should give it a try. That might answer your question.

leaha 11-28-2010 09:05 AM

They are so cute, and very light weight so easy to take to classes, bees or guild or to retreats. They are supposed to make a really great streight stitch. and they are so cute! They are easy to take care of also with out having to take them in to shop and pay $50. or more each time to be serviced. Billy has a whole tut on how to care for our machines, I will be really looking into doing the care of my FW, but want to know how to do it properly. So will be checking out Billy's thread.
I would say check it out and clean it and give it a try, you might fall in love with it, and you sure can't beat the price!

CarrieAnne 11-28-2010 09:54 AM

welcome!

franie 11-28-2010 10:19 AM

They are great to take out to sew! That's my travel machine.

Bobbin along 11-28-2010 10:35 AM

How do I love my Featherweight? Let me count the ways. (with appologies to R. Browning or somewone who wrote that first.)
Dependable, very portable, (I go to a bee once a week and it is my Bee machine) Light at 12 lbs (heavy feathers i guess.) cute, easy to trouble shoot, easy to fix--usually a thread caught somewhere, did I say cute? takes up very small space at the bee, sews beautifully! easy into and out of my car. fits into a small wheeled trolley. AND it's so cute!

greensleeves 11-28-2010 11:01 AM

It is a status symbol. Just mention Featherweight and everyone gasps. :) You'll be the envy of every other quilter, especially since you inherited it. Its a real keeper, so oil it up and try it out. Oh, and we'd love to see a picture of it.