Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Fabric that blocks ID theft? >

Fabric that blocks ID theft?

Fabric that blocks ID theft?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM

What about the batting that has the foil between layers? Would that work the same? I think you use it for hot pads, etc.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 AM
mac

This is really a sad state of affairs...just saying...
Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

How different is this from the silver ironing board fabric which is half the price?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
This is really a sad state of affairs...just saying...
assuming you mean that we need to line our wallets against theft, here's another one for you. Was at Fred Meyer getting a cash gift card. When you turn them over you will see that majority of numbers are covered. The one I took up was not. Backing was torn off. Clerk had me get a different one. Said that one was already compromised. Scammers peel off protective cover, scan the number. Then when you activate it the thieves already have access to the funds you applied. We have to be aware of everything we do now a days!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:38 AM

Sad state of affairs!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 PM

I have a little wallet that only holds credit cards that has protections and I got DH some little envelops that hold the credit cards (our cruise advisor told us to for our last cruise) - and I am glad we did. Had a friend who went on a trip by plane and went to use her credit card at her destination and she could not charge anything. Someone had stolen her number when she went through the airport and took out her wallet to pay cash for something - she had about 10k of new charges on her card from all around the world. Really sad. Fortunately she only took one credit card and not her debit card.

I was looking at the fabric -- I would probably make a pouch that fits inside the purse for added protection.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have a little wallet that only holds credit cards that has protections and I got DH some little envelops that hold the credit cards (our cruise advisor told us to for our last cruise) - and I am glad we did. Had a friend who went on a trip by plane and went to use her credit card at her destination and she could not charge anything. Someone had stolen her number when she went through the airport and took out her wallet to pay cash for something - she had about 10k of new charges on her card from all around the world. Really sad. Fortunately she only took one credit card and not her debit card.

I was looking at the fabric -- I would probably make a pouch that fits inside the purse for added protection.
That's absolutely frightening...Imagine being out of town and not able to charge...Geez! But I would have thought the credit card would have questioned the charges. But maybe not since she probably alerted them she was going on a trip. Wow...catch 22.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeeit42 View Post
How different is this from the silver ironing board fabric which is half the price?
Nancys Notions has a pretty good detailed description of its effectiveness (shielding 99.99%) and its fiber makeup, copper, nickel , polyester. Not sure of the makeup of ironing board fabric but this is such a big problem, I rely on the manufacturer testing for a particular purpose. I don't have this fabric but I do have the small envelopes (RFID) for my cards. They take a lot of wear and tear though, and I am thinking I need to pick up some replacement envelopes.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...king+fabric.do
Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

This little credit card holder is like mine ...
http://www.asseenontvwebstore.com/Al...allet-blue.htm
Old 08-19-2016, 05:42 PM

I have the little foil sleeves, but like this idea and will look in the Nancy's Notion catalog when it comes. a lady at church uses a metal business card holder for this purpose and her DH is with Homeland Security and says that it works too.