Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Hancock fabics closing >

Hancock fabics closing

Hancock fabics closing

Old 04-04-2016, 06:32 AM

Default Hancock fabics closing

If you haven't heard already, the Hancock Fabrics chain, with more than 250 stores in 39 American states, is
closing

That's a pretty large chunk of American fabric stores to lose all at once. I had never been to a Hancock's -- they weren't in NY -- and I imagine it as something akin to a JoAnn Fabric, with lots of quilting cotton, fleece, and craft kits and not much focus on garment sewing, but it's still sad news to me. makes you wonder where the quilting/sewing industry is headed. look at the price of fabrics now. recently cost me over $400 to make a batik queen sized quilt and sent it out.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

It may seem to you but when House of Fabric and Cloth World closed their stores, they closed more than these. That makes room for Hobby Lobby to expand more. They have better quality of fabric.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

This is one of several recent posts here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t277318.html
It's sad to see a whole large chain go out.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
This is one of several recent posts here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t277318.html
It's sad to see a whole large chain go out.
I know, even though it had its problems, it did provide a variety of fabric types and sewing supplies. Kind of like the Benjamin Franklin stores used to. It will be missed, and I really don't anticipate another new large chain coming in. So many are shopping online, etc., I am not sure how profitable it would be for a new fabric chain. But who knows? I know that my local Hancocks had friendly staff but not the best cutting/checkout process. I still hate to see all those people losing their jobs.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by puma View Post
If you haven't heard already, the Hancock Fabrics chain, with more than 250 stores in 39 American states, is
closing

That's a pretty large chunk of American fabric stores to lose all at once. I had never been to a Hancock's -- they weren't in NY -- and I imagine it as something akin to a JoAnn Fabric, with lots of quilting cotton, fleece, and craft kits and not much focus on garment sewing, but it's still sad news to me. makes you wonder where the quilting/sewing industry is headed. look at the price of fabrics now. recently cost me over $400 to make a batik queen sized quilt and sent it out.
My local Hancocks provided a variety of fabrics, including garment materials as well as upholstery weight. Their quilting cottons were kind of in the minority there, so I never saw them as in competition with quilt shops. I read a lot of posts where people who want to make quilts are going to the thrift stores or garage sales to keep the cost manageable.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:52 AM

I hate to see Hancock's go out of business. We won't have a fabric shop anywhere close now.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 AM

Personally, I am going to miss Hancock Fabric's here in Colorado Springs. The staff there are all wonderful! They had great sales and coupons!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma View Post
Personally, I am going to miss Hancock Fabric's here in Colorado Springs. The staff there are all wonderful! They had great sales and coupons!
So many opinions on this...I had good experiences with Hancocks, but some posts I have read complained about the coupons and how strict the store was with them. Others think it is the coupon and sale mentality that put them out of business. Who knows? I just know I am going to miss Hancocks, and I really don't think there will be another similar scale fabric variety business coming in and filling the gap.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:29 AM

Default Hancock

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
My local Hancocks provided a variety of fabrics, including garment materials as well as upholstery weight. Their quilting cottons were kind of in the minority there, so I never saw them as in competition with quilt shops. I read a lot of posts where people who want to make quilts are going to the thrift stores or garage sales to keep the cost manageable.
I would call the store that you go to. I called the one in Florence, SC. It is the store I go to when I go see my MIL. They told me they were not among the ones that are closing.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by marymay View Post
I would call the store that you go to. I called the one in Florence, SC. It is the store I go to when I go see my MIL. They told me they were not among the ones that are closing.
All the Hancock Fabrics stores and online are now gone. The liquidator is selling the assets.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300244488.html