Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing! >

All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM

Default All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

Has everyone heard/read the news that Hancock's Fabrics is closing all of their stores. Pat in Arkansas is not a happy camper!! Between Hancock's and Joann's ( and using their coupons) I could usually find what I needed for my quilting project at a discount. No wonder more of us are going to the online stores for our quilting needs!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I hadn't had one near me in over 15 years so I won't miss them. I only bought Hobbs batting there because I didn't like the quality of their fabric. I just bought some fabric online last week from JAF and the quality is even worse than before.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Too bad. I read a couple months ago that they were going to drastically downsize, but not that they were closing all stores. The ones in Michigan closed a long time ago, but I do remember shopping there.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM

My favorite Hancock's is closing also. Just called them and they just started their liquidation. Called last month when the announcement was made and they said they were not one of the ones to close. Boo Hoo. Really liked the store. I would make a trip about every other month because there are 3 quilt stores in the area plus them, so it made for a great day! You were sure to find something between the four of them.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

We have one in Cartersville GA that I heard is closing. The other one that's close to me hasn't said anything about closing.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 AM

Haha happy April's fools day
Old 04-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

I read on line last night about them being in backrupcy again.

This is one of the places that I read about them closing over 180 stores/

Hancock Fabrics

This is also what I read last night
Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM

I had going out of business notice from mine today. So sad as that is where I bought most of the fabrics for clothing I make.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Yes--All of the Hancock Fabric stores are closing. I even contacted them via their website to see if they would have an online presence, and they said "No". I dislike going to JAF so much because it takes so long to get anything cut. They usually only will have 2 people at the most at the cutting table even when they have their big sales. The last time I had something cut a month or so before Christmas, I went when it wasn't that busy, and I still had to wait about 45 minutes to get something cut---and that's with grabbing a "number" before I went to get the fabric I wanted. Hancock's had become my local fabric chain of choice because their customer service and pleasantry was better than JAF.

I decided a long time ago that I'd rather pay a little more at Hancock's than go to JAF. Hancock's was closer and I enjoyed the staff there as they were much more personable. I only try to go to JAF when it is something I can pull off the rack, like thread, buttons, fat quarters, etc. Now, JAF will be the Only fabric chain in the city of over 500,000(other than Walmart or Hobby Lobby). From what was told to me, they are thinking it will take a couple months to sell everything off so by the end of June will be the end. So sad for the employees. This store in our city was also told they would be kept open and 3 days ago, they found out otherwise.

So, now it will be 3 quilt shops, 1 JAF, 3 Hobby Lobby's in our city. I guess on the bright side, this will mean that I have more incentive to use up what I have in my stash which will take years anyway!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 AM

The one here in Slidell is closing, they started about 6-8 wks ago, say they have til the end of April, went couple wks ago, they were at 40-50% off, still had a lot of stuff! I'm going again soon to see if they've come down some more, I hope to catch em when they Really cut and still have some decent stuff left! 2 yd minimum purchase on cuts, and no returns, no coupons either.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS