Hexigons

Old 12-19-2014, 05:38 AM

Default Hexigons

I'm getting ready to start making hexies for my next quilting project and found this tutorial. Thought others might find it helpful as well. http://thescrappyappleyard.blogspot....templates.html
Old 12-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

They are a really neat project especially if you are on the go. The plastic hexagons are pricey. I was taught to just do a running stitch and gather it tightly. This method of taking a few tucks is interesting. When stitching the hexes together, having the thickness of the plastic makes it much easier to conceal the stitching being able to get more towards the back side of the edge. But with PP hexes. so much faster to use a glue stick to fold the back over the edges of the hexes..
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 PM

I too love using that glue pen for basting.......
Old 12-20-2014, 06:38 AM
shy

I have made many hexie bed quilts by hand.
Have used both paper and plastic ..The plastic is so much better..I only hold the material to hex..I never glue or pin..It works just as well that way..Less work all around..Also have always done the corner folded..Didn't see how to do hexiest before making them..just thought it made sense that way.I only use 3 hexiest at the most..so the plastics last forever..as far as cost goes.
The paper loses its shape after used some..which makes the hex untrue in shape.In my opinion ...people I have taught all want the plastic after trying the paper..
Old 12-20-2014, 07:33 AM

I found the Extra Large Hexie cutter by Fiskar is awesome. I saved all those crazy political ads from the mail. And hubby sat and cut them out for me. The Extra Large was found in the scrapbooking department at Michaels but other should have it too. As it is scrapbooking, it is labeled as 2", because they (scrapbookers) measure across. When measured along the side, it is 1" and works nicely with the paper or plastic. I started out using the plastic (which I love) but can see where this would get extremely pricey if you left the plastic in. Some quilts use over 4,000 hexies! Yikes. But thanks to the political ads using such nice thick paper, I can now cut out that many with no problems!! h, the look a little weird if you are not used to them. You squeeze he handles, instead of pushing don, like he olden days!!

2.5" squares fit 1" hexies very nicely, no need to cut the hexies shape if you are PP. I believe the formula is to add 1.5" to size of hexie to get the proper square size.

Last edited by AZ Jane; 12-20-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

that's interesting... thanks for sharing
Old 12-20-2014, 01:39 PM

In 1990 I made my first ever quilt. While recovering from stroke, an elderly neighbor taught me to do a hexie quilt. She showed me how to draw around the plastic butter container lid hexie she cut for me, how to hold them together, and make a back stitch at every corner, as I sewed them together. It was supposed to be a lap robe, but ended up a candle mat due to frustration. The hexie pattern I was using made a 3/4"!
This week I tried making hexies using the paper picing method. Wow! So much easier! This time I found a hexie shape on line that I traced onto freezer paper, many times, ironed two more layers under it, and cut them out. They were 1.25".
This is what I have learned this week. EPP is much easier, I definately need a better way to make many hexies, my stitches don't show so won't worry about that, and I was inspired to order the Fiskars extra large paper punch and 65 lb bond paper to cut hexies out of. I am going to punch a hole in the centers for pinning.
I am going to use them while traveling to keep my hands and eyes busy. I have visual problems that make riding in cars look and feel like a carnival ride, so not watching traffic makes it so much easier. I am happy to join the "Hexie" club. (Until this thread, I hadn't thought to glue stick baste, but I will use that too. Thank you all.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

I am learning to make hexies too and the information here is very helpful. TFS
peace
Old 12-20-2014, 03:33 PM

I'm sew addicted to hexies! Made my first baby quilt with them, drawing around a template by Marti Michell, cutting them out by hand! LOL! Now, bought the Fiskars x-lrg punch, use posters from walmart, only 33 cents. I sew through the poster template, and I don't re-use them, take them out when completely surrounded. And I do sew mine together holding them right sides together, just the way that's comfy for me! So my stitches do show a little on the front, but I like it! Like anything else, everyone has their own way of doing things, that's what makes each project so unique!
Old 12-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
In 1990 I made my first ever quilt. While recovering from stroke, an elderly neighbor taught me to do a hexie quilt. She showed me how to draw around the plastic butter container lid hexie she cut for me, how to hold them together, and make a back stitch at every corner, as I sewed them together. It was supposed to be a lap robe, but ended up a candle mat due to frustration. The hexie pattern I was using made a 3/4"!
This week I tried making hexies using the paper picing method. Wow! So much easier! This time I found a hexie shape on line that I traced onto freezer paper, many times, ironed two more layers under it, and cut them out. They were 1.25".
This is what I have learned this week. EPP is much easier, I definately need a better way to make many hexies, my stitches don't show so won't worry about that, and I was inspired to order the Fiskars extra large paper punch and 65 lb bond paper to cut hexies out of. I am going to punch a hole in the centers for pinning.
I am going to use them while traveling to keep my hands and eyes busy. I have visual problems that make riding in cars look and feel like a carnival ride, so not watching traffic makes it so much easier. I am happy to join the "Hexie" club. (Until this thread, I hadn't thought to glue stick baste, but I will use that too. Thank you all.
FYI - I got my Fiskars ex-large hexie punch on Amazon for $14.94 w/ free shipping in case you are shopping for one.